cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections removal success! ...Or is it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections removal success! ...Or is it?

Hey everyone, Quick question, once an account is removed/deleted by TU -or any CB for that matter-, can it be put back? The reason I'm asking, is because I disputed a collection account, and much to my surprise I received an email this morning saying that the account had been deleted from my report. My concern is because everything on the account was correct and true, and the account is only two years old (paid long ago, $290). I'm afraid that next month they will come back and be like ' oh, nm, we decided to put it back on.'
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collections removal success! ...Or is it?

If the CRA removed it due to a dispute, the credit can re-add it any time, but the CRA must inform you in writing before it reports (I think 5 days before). If the creditor removed themselves, they can re-report at any time though certainly most don't.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response!

So I guess it's just a wait and see game now? I'm hoping that because it's a closed account, the CA decides not to re-report it anymore. I'm going to try the same dispute with EQ and EX, hopefully with similar results!

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Reinsertion of information in a consumer credit file after deletion based on a dispute is covered by FCRA 611(a)(5)(B).

Basically, the CRA is barred from reinsertion of the information unless two things occur:

1. The party requesting the reinsertion must file a "certificate of accuracy of information" with the CRA, certifying that the information is complete and accurate.

2.  After receipt of such certification, the CRA must provide, within 5-days, written notification to the consumer.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.