Collections removal success! ...Or is it?

Hey everyone, Quick question, once an account is removed/deleted by TU -or any CB for that matter-, can it be put back? The reason I'm asking, is because I disputed a collection account, and much to my surprise I received an email this morning saying that the account had been deleted from my report. My concern is because everything on the account was correct and true, and the account is only two years old (paid long ago, $290). I'm afraid that next month they will come back and be like ' oh, nm, we decided to put it back on.'

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: (7/9/2010 - 638) 8/5/2010 - 650
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collections removal success! ...Or is it?

If the CRA removed it due to a dispute, the credit can re-add it any time, but the CRA must inform you in writing before it reports (I think 5 days before). If the creditor removed themselves, they can re-report at any time though certainly most don't.

Thanks for your response!

So I guess it's just a wait and see game now? I'm hoping that because it's a closed account, the CA decides not to re-report it anymore. I'm going to try the same dispute with EQ and EX, hopefully with similar results!

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: (7/9/2010 - 638) 8/5/2010 - 650
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Epic Contributor

Reinsertion of information in a consumer credit file after deletion based on a dispute is covered by FCRA 611(a)(5)(B).

Basically, the CRA is barred from reinsertion of the information unless two things occur:

1. The party requesting the reinsertion must file a "certificate of accuracy of information" with the CRA, certifying that the information is complete and accurate.

2.  After receipt of such certification, the CRA must provide, within 5-days, written notification to the consumer.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.