Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections with a balance vs Collections with a 0 balance

tag
dsw283
New Contributor

Collections with a balance vs Collections with a 0 balance

The SOL is about to be up on one of my collections, and am curious to know how much a collection actually effects a credit score.  Will you notice a bump by removing a collection even if there are other collections?  Also, does the age of a collection not hurt as much like a late payment or does it effect the score the same for 7 years?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collections with a balance vs Collections with a 0 balance

When you say SOL do you mean CRTP?

How much they affect you really depends on everything in your credit profile.  If it is only one of 8 collections you may not see a bump until almost all of them are gone.  If you only have one and it is very new you would more than likey see a bump.

Yes they will affect your score for 7 years.

Message 2 of 8
mikie209
Regular Contributor

Jumping on this. I have 2 collections on my report. One is paid bad reporting a balance of zero. No luck with goodwill. There other is midland for $300. No luck with PFD. If I PIF will this have any effect on my score? 2 collections with a 0 balance?
Message 3 of 8
mikie209
Regular Contributor

Bad=and
Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@mikie209 wrote:
Jumping on this. I have 2 collections on my report. One is paid bad reporting a balance of zero. No luck with goodwill. There other is midland for $300. No luck with PFD. If I PIF will this have any effect on my score? 2 collections with a 0 balance?

No, paid and unpaid collections are scored the same.

Message 5 of 8
mikie209
Regular Contributor

Any advice on what to do with that collection? It's out of the SOL for California. I'm currently paying down my utilization on my credit cards, should I continue to pay down my cards instead of worrying about this collection right now? Not looking for a mortgage or anything anytime soon either.
Message 6 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 8
mikie209
Regular Contributor

Ok thanks!!!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.