Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections

I have received a collection notice for a cell phone bill while I was in undergraduate college, back in 1993.  The bill is for $601.00, from 1993.  The collections company is trying to collection from 16 years ago. The collections company is NCO Financial.  I honestly do not remember if I paid it, however I would not have any documentation this late in the game to prove it.  I have had the same carrier and phone number for the last 15 years.  My scores are now in the low 700's and I cannot have this old collections to go onto my report.  Can they attempt to collect after 16 years and can it still go onto my credit report since it is so old?  Please advise.  Thanks!  
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections

I would seem that it would be way out of SOL, and way past the 7 year reporting period. I would think that it would not be able to be reported on your credit report. But I'm no expert, I'm new to all this, just learning by reading.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your DOFD was in '93 or 94' (heck even up to 2001) it would be way out of SOL. Send an FOAD letter.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.  I am new to the boards.  What is a DOFD, SOL and FOAD?  I clearly have a lot of reading to do on my fico.  LOL.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No prob.

DOFD - Date Of First Deliquency or Date of First Default

SOL - Statute of Limitations

FOAD - F*** Off And Die (Sounds hard huh? I promise I don't curse in real life!) Smiley Wink

There are examples on FOAD letters in this forum. Use the search engine.

Message 5 of 6
tullz85
Frequent Contributor

Or, you can take my advice here. If you have the funds to pay it, send them a DV letter. Then be prepared to write a PFNR (Pay For Not Reporting) when you PIF (Pay In Full). Don't write nasty letters, there's not really a reason for that course of action.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.