Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections

I have several medical bills in collections. I'm finally ready to start paying them off. Does anyone know how paying off collection debts will improve your credit scores?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Collections

Research very carefully before proceeding and include the Rebuilding subforum in your research.  Paying collections rarely provided much improvement.  You want those derogs removed.  It is possible to make matters worse.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding subform?

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Offering to pay in exchange for CR deletion can improve score.

If no PFD can be obtained, it still goes further than only a consideration of your credit scores.

Paying discharges the debt.

No further collection calls.

No issue of unpaid, deliqnuent debt arising in a manual review, as payment requries update to show paid, $0 balance.

No civil action seeking a judgment (if still within SOL)

No additonal accrual of interest or other charges.

Even after credit report exclusion, potential creditors can still become aware of the existence of unpaid, deliqnuent debt by other means, such as simply requiring disclosure in any credit application.

Message 4 of 6
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Rebuilding subform?

Here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/bd-p/rebuildingcredit

The good news is that medical collections are the easiest to get removed off your reports. 

1. Contact the original creditor (hospital/doctor's office/whoever) and ask them to recall the collection for full payment

2. If they won't do it (they CAN, but some may not), contact the collection agency and ask to do a PFD (pay for delete)

3. If they refuse to delete it, pay it anyway, then Google the HIPAA removal method (we are not allowed to discuss this here but you can contact its creator for help)

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will followup on them since I'm eager to get them paid!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.