Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections

tag
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

Collections

I had a Sprint Collection recently removed from Experian and Transunion, but they won't remove it or update it on Equifax. Help! I don't know what I need to do. Want it removed altogether from Equifax like it was from Experian and Transunion. Any suggestions?

FICO 8 Scores: EX 706 (11/3/2016) EQ 696 (11/17/16) TU 708 (11/17/2016)

"Use your Credit wisely, don't let it use you!"~Me Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections

I'm assuming you achieved an early exclusion from EX and TU?  As in, the item was about to fall off on its own in the coming months and they agreed to remove it early?

If that's the case, it's no surprise EQ declined - they are known to ignore early exclusion requests until the last 30 days before it will fall off on its own.  If this is your situation, there is nothing you can do but wait to hit that mark in time.

If you disputed the collection to have it removed, and two out of three decided to remove it, then that means EQ must have had it verified by the collector.  This is the only reason they would keep it on the report - if the collector/account holder verifies it, then it stays on the report.

If you contacted the collector and/or Sprint to have it removed, then your only course of action there is to call them back and ask why they did two but not three bureaus, and see if they will fix it.  

Message 2 of 6
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

Actually, I didn't request them to remove it early. I paid it in full to the CA, AFNI Inc. So it looks like AFNI was never reporting to EQ, only EX and TU. Sprint is the OC. Do I wait til end of this month then and then dispute it?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like the best idea.

If this is reporting incorrectly as "open" then the CA has two options to respond to the dispute - delete their reporting entirely (most do this, since it's easier) or update their reporting to "closed-paid" (which is technically the correct one, but usually they choose just to delete entirely).  

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Payment of the debt is not basis for a dispute of its continued reporting.

CRA policy is that collections are not to be deleted based on payment of the debt.

There is thus no inaccuracy in reporting upon which to base a dispute.

Deletion with other CRAs was likely based on a voluntary reporting of deletion by the debt collector, thus removing any updating obligation with those CRAs.

To get deletion of reporting with the other CRA will require a voluntary reporting of deletion by the debt collector.

Filing of a dispute may foster ill rather than good-will with the debt collector, and would not be my recommended path.

I would contact the debt collector and pursue a request for their good-will deletion from the remaining CRA,

Message 5 of 6
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

but can't a GW letter also get them worked up enough to change the other CRA's back to a PIF instead of deleted?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.