Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collector agency question.

tag
legacys7
Regular Contributor

Collector agency question.

Hi. Is it possible to have the collection agency to remove a negative report from your credit report? I'm in the midst of getting ready to pay off a debt that I'd got behind on due to being laid off, but wondering if it's possible to make a deal with them? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

Re: Collector agency question.

Yes its called pay for delete and its all over this forum.
My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 2 of 15
legacys7
Regular Contributor

I see. I'm a new member so, it's going to take a me second to figure out the navigation on the forums. Do you have an forum links where I can read the examples? Thanks in advance. 

Message 3 of 15
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Hi and Welcome to the forums,

Here's a copy of the PFD Letter. You can find it in the Frequently Requested Threads.

Both of these links can be found in the stickys , at the top of the board.  

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That PFD letter needs to be edited or something.  It is too forceful and demanding.  A PFD is like a GW and you shouldn't give them demands when you are asking them a favor.  It will probably end up in the trash.

Message 5 of 15
legacys7
Regular Contributor

Thank you for both your reply and the information links. Very informative.

Message 6 of 15
legacys7
Regular Contributor

I'd called one of the businesses that I owe a bill. Looks like it was for an x-ray. Anyways, I'd told them that I am willing to pay it and asked if there's something that I can do to get the negative taken off of my report. She replied that she can, but it'll cost an additional 25 bucks. Okay, no problem. I'd asked if I can get this in writing aka agreement. She said yes, but still wanted me to pay first. I told her that I'm willing to pay, but I will need the written agreement first. She tried to run some b.s. on me, stating that they're doing me a favor by taking it off. Long story short, I refused. Looks like I had one with an attitude who really wasn't looking to work with me. So I'm going to try again and hope that she doesn't answer the phone.  

Message 7 of 15
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

I would definitely try to get it in writing first but sometimes you just have to take them for their word. Try a few different reps and you may get the one that will send the letter first, but many companies just won't put it in writing at all.
My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 8 of 15
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@legacys7 wrote:

I'd called one of the businesses that I owe a bill. Looks like it was for an x-ray. Anyways, I'd told them that I am willing to pay it and asked if there's something that I can do to get the negative taken off of my report. She replied that she can, but it'll cost an additional 25 bucks. Okay, no problem. I'd asked if I can get this in writing aka agreement. She said yes, but still wanted me to pay first. I told her that I'm willing to pay, but I will need the written agreement first. She tried to run some b.s. on me, stating that they're doing me a favor by taking it off. Long story short, I refused. Looks like I had one with an attitude who really wasn't looking to work with me. So I'm going to try again and hope that she doesn't answer the phone.  

That's a big no no. Collection Agency have an agreement with the CRA's They send a simple UDF (Universal Data Form ) electronically to have it deleted. 

Message 9 of 15
legacys7
Regular Contributor

I have no doubts that it's illegal. Hence her refusing to send the agreement in writing. In so many words, she wasn't down for doing it. She just told me what I wanted to hear so that I'd pay the bill. Not going to happen.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.