Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

College Student Overwhelmed By Road To Improving Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

College Student Overwhelmed By Road To Improving Credit

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here on the myFICO forums!  I have officially decided that I want to take control of my credit and decided this would be a good place to stay focused and gain inspiration via others success stories.  I turned 18 in March 2008 and the big economic meltdown didn't occurr until October of that year, so credit was still fairly easy to access.  Within that first year I opened an array of credit cards - First Financial, Citi, HSBC Orchard, and Juniper - and took out $15k in private student loans from Chase (no cosigner necessary).  My Citi card alone started off with a credit limit of $2k and within 6 months had been raised to almost $4k.  Despite the fact that college can be expensive, I also went through an episode of depression which resulted in compulsive spending and a failure to recognize or appreciate any potential consequences that may arise.  By the time I hit 19, my cards were all maxed out and I was extremely behind on all of them, regularly being called by collecting agencies.  About 2 years ago I finished settling all of my original credit cards.  I knew at the time that settling them was going to come at a cost, but at the time I just wanted to start fresh and the relief that came with being done with them seemed worth it.

Today, I am 22 years old and my goal is to have an easier time accessing credit by the time I finish college, which will be in about 2 years.  At that point I will have my bachelor's degree and ideally I will go directly onto graduate school.  I currently have an Equifax score of 535 and right now my goal is 750, though I will be happy with any level of improvement.

Current Credit Situation:

Direct Federal Student Loans - $21,800 + Interest

Chase Private Student Loans - $15,000 + Interest

BB&T Auto Loan - $10,000 @ 16.49%

Credit One - $272 (Credit Line: $300)

Capital One (secured) - $0 (Credit Line: $200)

Total Debt: ~$46,500 

Clearly, I have a high amount of debt (mostly student loans) and a bad history of making payments, along with the multiple settled accounts from two years ago.  I purchased my car in January (2012) and while I know the interest rate is extremely high, I figured it would help improve my credit overall and it was literally the only option I had in regards to financing a vehicle without a cosigner.

I simply do not know where to even begin!  Part of me feels hopeless and that there's no way I'm going to be able to do much of anything to improve my credit until I finish school and have a regular full-time job, but ideally I'd have it improved before then, because eventually I'll need to be able to get an apartmetn and/or have to replace my car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Blake

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: College Student Overwhelmed By Road To Improving Credit

Start goodwilling those settled accounts.  pay everything from here on in on time.  Get a pocket calender and mark all the boxes for the next year when a payment is due. Then when you make payment put an X through the box.  A little caveman but it works for me and I have a clear mind.The student loans are there multiple fees for being late or are they still in deferrement??  Also try to get on parents or relative or goodfriend's credit card as an AU they must have a clean history no baddies associated with the account and the older the CC is the more it will improve your AAOA. Also google student loans or ask community if they know of any programs that reduce interest. What are the interest rates? If they are high maybe if we get your score up you could refi with better terms. Also join a credit union.  What state are you in?

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 13
FloridaShock

Thank you for the reply annielorie!

What does goodwilling my settled accounts entail doing?  

The student loans are still in deferrment, as I'm still going to school full-time and have about a year and a half left until graduation.  I want to say the interest on the federal student loans is around 6-7% and the private student loans around 9%, but I am not 100% certain.  I'm considering paying a small amount to the private student loans now, since those along with my auto loan are probably my most expensive debts.  Ideally, I would definitely like to pay off my car ASAP, as I still need to pay off about $1,500 of the principle balance until I'm at the point where the cars value is equal to or more than what I owe on it.

I'm pretty much on my own when it comes to anything related to finances, as my parents are uncomfortable putting my name on anything due to my credit history thus far.  So, anything I do will have to be done on my own!

I'm located in Virginia.

Thanks again,

Blake

Message 3 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely pay and get your util down on the CC.  Since the student loans are in defferement, concentrate on paying the auto loan off.  That's a high percentage rate and will save you money.  After that start paying down those student loans.  You seem to have a good idea of where you are in your current finances so good luck to you!.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 13
annielorie
Valued Contributor

What kind of accounts did you settle and what did you pay of the amounts.

Message 5 of 13
annielorie
Valued Contributor

also how much owed on car and how many more payments?

Message 6 of 13
FloridaShock

That's true Shogun, the auto loan is probably what I should focus on first, as it is also the loan that would have a more immediate impact should anything go wrong vs the student loans which are deferred.

It's been a while, so I don't know exact numbers, but I settled 4 CCs - most were around $500-800 and were settled for about half those amounts.  The Citi card was at around $3k, settled for around $1,200.  I still owe $10k on my car, no penalty for early payment, not exactly sure how many payments I have left.

One of the biggest reasons I'd like to begin this process is because I've been ignoring just how much debt I've taken on and it wasn't until I needed to finance a car back in January that I felt the immediate impact of having bad credit.  On one hand discovering how much debt I have has been a bit of a downer, but at the same time I also have a sense of relief now that I feel like I'm beginning to gain control of my finances, even if the first step is simply knowing how much I owe.

Message 7 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Responsibility is the key.  And I found that making myself goals, small steps, helped to keep from getting overwhelmed.  Take you a piece of paper and state your goals and a sensible time frame.   I did ths and found that my real goal was trying to beat those goals which I did.  It really gives you a good view of your situation and you can see your progress which makes you want to try harder.

July 2013 score:

Message 8 of 13
FloridaShock

Right.  I think one of the reasons it has taken me so long to really address this and actually do something about it, is because I haven't really even known where to start.  For example, how much should I be using to pay down debt vs how much should I be setting aside in case of unexpected expenses?  I have a tendency to spend what I earn, whether that be on bills or day to day expenses.  I'm also not entirely sure what a realistic timeline. Also, my debt-to-income ratio won't be improving anytime soon, so how much will that impact it?

Thank you again for the advice!

Message 9 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Budgeting 101 I assume would apply here.  Everyone's situation is different of course.  See if there are ways to increase your income, even if just a little bit.  Work overtime if you can, if you have stuff just laying around, can you sell it for something?   Every little bit helps  Use the snowball technique, after you pay one bill off, take what you were paying on that one and concentrate on the next one.  You'd be surprised at how fast you can pay somethings down this way.

July 2013 score:

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.