tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Combine my two Cap One Cards??

A little break down of what my credit looks like:

Happy Tradelines:
Capital One : $500 Limit - Zero Balance - No lates
Capital One: $1100 Limit - $40 balance.  - No Lates
Ally Bank Auto Loan:  $23,500  - First payment is not due until March 2016, however I paid $2000 towards the principle of the car already. 
Student Loans : [Current in grace period] - $41,500 - Sending $110 a month. 

That's it. 
As of 2015 this is my "new" credit profile. Everything prior to that was my ignorance as a teen thinking I never had to pay back my credit cards.

Baddies:

•Diversified Consultants - OC: Sprint [Sprint has not charged off the amount they still own the debt] - Collections - $1100 -
[Sprint refuses to work with me on payment arrangement. They want it all in full. They told me if I want payment arrangements to work with the Collections agency]

• Target - $350 - They have not responded if paying the account would have it removed from my credit. The bill I have stated "This account has been charged off this is a final bill" 

• CACH LLC - Bank of America - $850 - Paid. [Just trying to get them to take it off!!]

Questions:
• Should I combine my two cap one cards? 
• What can I do to improve my scores? 
--
Notes: My cards where at 99% Usage the last time they reported. They close on the 23rd of every month and will report their lower balances. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Combine my two Cap One Cards??

@Anonymous wrote:

A little break down of what my credit looks like:

Happy Tradelines:
Capital One : $500 Limit - Zero Balance - No lates
Capital One: $1100 Limit - $40 balance.  - No Lates
Ally Bank Auto Loan:  $23,500  - First payment is not due until March 2016, however I paid $2000 towards the principle of the car already. 
Student Loans : [Current in grace period] - $41,500 - Sending $110 a month. 

That's it. 
As of 2015 this is my "new" credit profile. Everything prior to that was my ignorance as a teen thinking I never had to pay back my credit cards.

Baddies:

•Diversified Consultants - OC: Sprint [Sprint has not charged off the amount they still own the debt] - Collections - $1100 -
[Sprint refuses to work with me on payment arrangement. They want it all in full. They told me if I want payment arrangements to work with the Collections agency]

• Target - $350 - They have not responded if paying the account would have it removed from my credit. The bill I have stated "This account has been charged off this is a final bill" 

• CACH LLC - Bank of America - $850 - Paid. [Just trying to get them to take it off!!]

Questions:
• Should I combine my two cap one cards? 
• What can I do to improve my scores? 
--
Notes: My cards where at 99% Usage the last time they reported. They close on the 23rd of every month and will report their lower balances. 

I would not combine them yet - wait until you grow them a bit more, and get at least two more revolving accounts. How old are the cards and what CLI's have you gotten so far?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I would not combine them yet - wait until you grow them a bit more, and get at least two more revolving accounts. How old are the cards and what CLI's have you gotten so far?

• Two more Credit cards or maybe try for a store card? Any Suggestions? I expect my scores to go up since my utilization will drop from 99% to less than 10%  But maybe not so much since My Auto Loan is about to hit as well. 

• The one with the $500 limit was originally a secured card that has JUST hit it's 1 year mark, but since Cap 1 has removed that program, I'm not sure if they're ever goign to give me a CLI on this?
• The one with a $1100 limit has had 2 CLI's. Originally was $500, Then $750 and now $1100 in a little under 6 months. 

Message 3 of 10
Washin17
Regular Contributor

Im new but the adviced Ive received is to try to get CLI.  Since they only do a soft pull you can call the executive office and request one.

Starting Score: 530EQ, 531TU, 514EX (0/2016)
Current Score: 686EQ, 710TU, 686EX (03/2017)
Goal Score: 750+ (01/2018)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdnicholer wrote:

Im new but the adviced Ive received is to try to get CLI.  Since they only do a soft pull you can call the executive office and request one.

All Advice is welcome. =)
I think Cap 1 does CLI's every 3 months or so. At least that's the trend with my QS card. The other one I'm not sure what to do with since it was originally a Secured card and now you can't add deposits to raise the limit. eep. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

• Two more Credit cards or maybe try for a store card? 
• The one with the $500 limit was originally a secured card that has JUST hit it's 1 year mark, but since Cap 1 has removed that program, I'm not sure if they're ever goign to give me a CLI on this?
• The one with a $1100 limit has had 2 CLI's. Originally was $500, Then $750 and now $1100 in a little under 6 months. 

Go into the account combination screen on the website and see if the account comes up as eligible for combination (it must have a zero balance). If not you will probably need to close it and open another account. From the beginning of their account combination feature, the secured accounts have not been eligible for combination.

Its long been their policy that secured accounts are not eligible for "requested" CLI's but they would often automatically increase them. With the recent changes, no longer allowing additional deposits, that may have changed. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdnicholer wrote:

All Advice is welcome. =)
I think Cap 1 does CLI's every 3 months or so. At least that's the trend with my QS card. The other one I'm not sure what to do with since it was originally a Secured card and now you can't add deposits to raise the limit. eep. 

With new accounts they will give one "early" CLI (at about 3 months), and one automatic CLI at 6 months. After that its once every 6 months.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Go into the account combination screen on the website and see if the account comes up as eligible for combination (it must have a zero balance). If not you will probably need to close it and open another account. From the beginning of their account combination feature, the secured accounts have not been eligible for combination.

Its long been their policy that secured accounts are not eligible for "requested" CLI's but they would often automatically increase them. With the recent changes, no longer allowing additional deposits, that may have changed. 

Wouldn't closing my account negatively impact my credit score though?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wouldn't closing my account negatively impact my credit score though?

No, not if you open another one right away. I saw no change in scores when I closed my oldest Cap One account and combined it, then opened a new account.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

• Two more Credit cards or maybe try for a store card? Any Suggestions? I expect my scores to go up since my utilization will drop from 99% to less than 10%  But maybe not so much since My Auto Loan is about to hit as well. 

The jury's still out on whether they allow secured card combinations anyway, and I know CLIs can't be requested for secured cards so I guess we'll see on all of that.

As for store cards, ONLY if you'll use them you can try to SCT a card or two.  I wouldn't suggest just collecting them for collection sake but if you will use it then that'd work.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.