Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast Collection Help

tag
AlliGriffin

Comcast Collection Help

Hello!

I discovered a collection from Southwest Credit Systems on my CR in the amount of $500 (unpaid) on March 2012, originally from Comcast. I disputed the debt online (stupidly) through all 3 CRA. The collection was removed from my CR after the 45 day waiting periodt.   On March 2013 a new collection in the amount of $500 appeared on my CR under Focus Receivables. Apparently, Southwest Credit Systems had sold my debt to another collection agency. The debt is still unpaid. Focus Receivables has never contacted me regarding this debt, I simply just discovered it on my CR.

My question is: Should I just DV the new collection agency (Focus Receivables)?

Also, since Focus Receivables never contacted me about this debt, do I have any rights under FDCPA 809a? To my understanding the collection agency must contact you prior to reporting a collection to your CR and Focus Receivables never did so.

Also, do you think contacting Comcast would be beneficial since they originally reported the debt to my CR over a year ago?

I am new to this Forum and would greatly appreciate any advice to the next step I should take. Thank you for any help! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Comcast Collection Help

@AlliGriffin wrote:

Hello!

I discovered a collection from Southwest Credit Systems on my CR in the amount of $500 (unpaid) on March 2012, originally from Comcast. I disputed the debt online (stupidly) through all 3 CRA. The collection was removed from my CR after the 45 day waiting periodt.   On March 2013 a new collection in the amount of $500 appeared on my CR under Focus Receivables. Apparently, Southwest Credit Systems had sold my debt to another collection agency. The debt is still unpaid. Focus Receivables has never contacted me regarding this debt, I simply just discovered it on my CR.

My question is: Should I just DV the new collection agency (Focus Receivables)?

Also, since Focus Receivables never contacted me about this debt, do I have any rights under FDCPA 809a? To my understanding the collection agency must contact you prior to reporting a collection to your CR and Focus Receivables never did so.

Also, do you think contacting Comcast would be beneficial since they originally reported the debt to my CR over a year ago?

I am new to this Forum and would greatly appreciate any advice to the next step I should take. Thank you for any help! Smiley Happy

A collection agency does not have to notify you of them placing a collection on your credit file. I would send the dv and if it does come back verified offer a PFD. If Comcast still owns the debt I would PFD or settle with them. 

Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Comcast Collection Help

Welcome to the forums.

A collection agency does not have to notify you prior to reporting.  They should have sent a dunning notice once it was reported.though.

I would call Comcast and see if they still own the debt and will accept payment from you and recall the debt and have them remove it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.