Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comcast Collection

I would like to hear from anyone who had a bill in collections from Comcast. 

We are about a month off from applying for a mortgage. Between us both, we have one bill that has been in collections. A very large bill from Comcast. We had Comcast service last year, we moved, cancelled our service, paid our last bill, packed up our equipment, should have been good to go. He thought I returned the equipment, I thought he did. We did not even think of it until a few months down the road when we received a collection bill from a collection agency, Stellar Recovery, for $1450. Comcast has said if we pay them directly in full they will remove the collection from my husband's report. Our mortgage lender is worried if we touch the record by paying it and then Comcast doesn't remove the collection, that we will make it appear more recent in my husband's report. But I feel like if we pay it and they do remove it, it's the one negative piece on his report so it could really help his score. The collection already reports very recent, just four months ago, in December.

Anyone have any successful payoffs with Comcast where the collection is removed from your credit report within 30 to 60 days of paying it? Did you pay in one lump sum? Set up a payment plan?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comcast Collection

I would say this:

They're basically offering you a PFD. If they are offering you *anything* make sure that you get it explicity in writing before sending them a dime or interacting with them further.

It's one thing to get a promise of something over the phone, but if you have a PFD agreement in writing, that basically forces their hand as soon as you send over the money.

Message 2 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I would try to get that offer in writing, they need to recall the CA just prior to you paying the bill in order for it to actually be deleted, if the collector still has collection authority at the time of payment then they can just update to a paid collection and then Comcast could only recommend to them that they delete their entry but the could not force them to do so. I would get them on the phone tomorrow and ask them to recall the CA in exchange for immediate full payment, you might also consider recording the call, be sure they know that it is they should not have a prob as they are most likely recording the call at their end as well. A verbal committment to do so is just as enforcable in a court of law as a written agreement. Since this is a new collection I dont think there is that much of a risk to the Fico score its still new in Ficos eyes so I would discount what the mortgage officer is saying it isnt applicable here, it would be if the collection were years old.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got screwed they said they would delete and didnt. Now they wont recall from dci and dci refuses to delete i am thinking if i should send a gw letter to comcast corparate or dci corparate or both
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I got screwed they said they would delete and didnt. Now they wont recall from dci and dci refuses to delete i am thinking if i should send a gw letter to comcast corparate or dci corparate or both

Tough call here.... If you fight them saying they misled you,  they may choose to just dig in, and you basically spend any goodwill you may have gotten. OTOH, Comcast isn't really known for doing GW.... Not sure about DCI. Comcast can't do much more than ask the CA to remove - they cannot compel them to do so.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently helped my sister out with a Comcast collection from 2 years ago. They agreed to do a PFD over the phone. We paid and it was deleted from her Experian and Equifax within 30 days. Transunion still haven't remove it but was updated to Paid. I would recommend you to get a letter from them first though. GOod luck!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wrote an email to comcast corparate and they called but i missed it i left them another message and hope they call back soon. I am hoping they can help me out if they cant i will email dci i am also going to submit a dispute because tbey did say tbey would remove it. The guy i spoke with from dci was telling me i should dispute. Maybe that was a hint from him i will keep you guys updated.
Message 7 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I wrote an email to comcast corparate and they called but i missed it i left them another message and hope they call back soon. I am hoping they can help me out if they cant i will email dci i am also going to submit a dispute because tbey did say tbey would remove it. The guy i spoke with from dci was telling me i should dispute. Maybe that was a hint from him i will keep you guys updated.

Lets hope it works out for you. I.guess this is more reason to to try and get something in writing, because of an example like this.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So i was going through my credit report and noticed that i had disputed diversified consultant there and it was removed but still shows on transunion so i disputed that lets see what happens after all the guy i spoke with said i should dispute
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry i disputed on equifax but still shows on transunion
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.