Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast Collections Dispute *Need Help*

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comcast Collections Dispute *Need Help*

Hello everyone, 

I just noticed a new collections of $340 that is ONLY being reported by Equifax. 

Original Creditor: Comcast

Collections Agency: Stellar Recovery Inc

This *just* started being reported as of a couple weeks ago, and the "Opened Date" is Dec 2012. 

I haven't had a Comcast account since early 2011. This all seemed odd to me, but I suppose it was possible (high doubtful) that I hadn't paid my last bill or something. I called Comcast and asked if they had anything under my name, SSN, OR under the only address I've ever had Comcast at. 

No information on my name of SSN. And no overdue bills/collections linked the address. 

I then called Stellar Recovery Inc and asked for the Comcast account number they have on file for this collection, and they gave me one. I then called Comcast back, and asked them to search with this Account #. 

Comcast had nothing linked!

I called Stellar back to double check the Account #, and I was placed on hold. The lady then verified my name, and the address that I used to live at where I had a Comcast account. So they have the correct address where I once had a Comcast account. She then was adament that I had disputed this claim. She was pushing on that point. But the Comcast account # she provided me was the same as before. The same one Comcast doesn't have a record of.

What should I do now??? Apparently I'm actively disputing the collection, and I was told Stellar is going to note that to my CRs. Should I have not done that?

But with no information on Comcast's side, should I file a DV with Comcast or Stellar??? 

Please help! I want this off my Equifax badly!

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to help Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Comcast Collections Dispute *Need Help*

You only send a DV to a debt collector, not the original creditor.

In your DV, be sure to request both the name of the OC and an itemization of the alleged debt.

Meanwhile, if Comcast is willing to provide you with a letter stating you have no debt with them, you could use that as documentation of no debt, and as a basis for filing a direct dispute with the debt collector, asserting an improper reportihng based on no deliquent debt with the OC.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Robert, 

Thanks so much for responding! 

If I DV the debt collector, will that hurt my chances of a PFD in the future, if it turns out that the debt is indeed validated? I have read a number of threads on here that say Stellar Recovery Inc is actually really open to PFD. I wouldn't like to piss them off, and then have this on my CR for years to come.  

Also, if Comcast can find nothing with the account number, my name, the address, OR my SSN my chances of getting out of this via DV seem pretty good, right?

I am going to call Comcast now and ask them if they can please provide me with a letter stating I have no debt.

Thanks again for your help!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so Comcast can't find ANYTHING in their system that says I owe any amount of money. 

The address that Stellar has on file and my name, pull up a Comcast account, but it says NOTHING of a debt owed. Just that I terminated my account in like 2010 or 2011. Unfortunatley, Comcast wouldn't send me that information in a letter or any other form. The only thing they offered to do was put in a ticket for escalation. 

I declined that for the moment though. I figure it would be best to first DV Stellar, before I go digging too deep with the OC and maybe find something I don't want to...lol

Does that seem like the way to go??? Anyone? Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You are certinly now aware of evidence that you can, if you eventually bring civil action against the debt collector, obtain from the creditor.

The debt collector is required to obtain verificaiton of the debt.  If the creditor is informing you that they cannot provide any verification to you, logic would lead to the conclusion that they have not provided verification to the debt collector.

You cannot directly compel the debt collector to send you documenatation that they have obtained from the creditor, but you can bring civil action and compel its production via pre-trial discovery.

If you send an intent to sue notice and they dont have substantive documentation, it might result in their backing down rather than risking a fiinding of lack of veriication in a civl action, which could result in a finding of willful noncomplance with the FDCPA.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Robert, just wanted to update that this is no longer on any of my CRs!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.