Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast Operator

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comcast Operator

I just called comast to see about a collection placed on my report 10/16 for 373.  This can not be accurate, I have nevr been late with them in years at the same address.  I called to explain this to an operater, he verified he could not find any record of me owing them any debt.  I asked him to delete it from my report and he did not understand.   After explaining it 5 times I finally just asked, do you know what a credit report is?  He had no idea...how are you guys getting people on the phone to take care of this?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comcast Operator

Talk to their billing department, or dispute the collection

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute it under FCRA and it it comes back "verified" sue Comcast for $1,000. I can guarantee that will get it removed pronto.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sue Comcast? As in small claims court? I have this exact problem.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. FCRA assigns Original Jurisdiction over cases to the "Court of Competent Jurisdiction" and with a $1,000 suit in almost all States taht would be Small Claims court. Be prepared to explain the law to the Judge and bring a copy of it with you.

Message 5 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Do you simply have a statement from the original creditor (Comcast) that the debt has been referred for collection, or do you have the reporting by a separate debt collector of a collection?

A dispute would be referred to Comcast if the asserted inaccuracy is their reporting, but would be referred to the reporting debt collector if the reporting was of a collection.

As for civil action, a consumer has no right to private civil action with respect to inaccuracy of credit reporting by any party.

That right is reserved under FCRA 623(c) only to governmental agencies, such as the FTC or CFPB.

A consumer must first file a dispute and provide the furnisher the opportunity to correct or delete the inaccurate reporting.

Any civil liability would only thereafter be based on the reasonableness of their handling of the dispute.

You need to begin by filing a dispute and obtaining a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation from the CRA before you proceed with any assertion of civil liability.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reporting is from a CA..But it was NEVER in collections..I called Comcast, the gent I spoke to has never heard of the CA, and says the info I gave him makes no sense, they are looking into it and will call back..I will update at that point. However, when I disputed it thru CK, it came back VERIFIED. I am at a loss as to how that can be if it was NEVER in collections.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The reporting is from a CA..But it was NEVER in collections..I called Comcast, the gent I spoke to has never heard of the CA, and says the info I gave him makes no sense, they are looking into it and will call back..I will update at that point. However, when I disputed it thru CK, it came back VERIFIED. I am at a loss as to how that can be if it was NEVER in collections.

This sounds like a typical case of the left hand not knowing what teh right hand is doing and you are caught in the middle with each of them pointing to the other saying "he did it". The only way to sort this out is to file suit against BOTH of them and let the Judge sort it out.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Contact the billing department and see if they can check into it further...

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did. Billing can find no record. CS rep was sending info to correct department, was to call me within 2 hours. Its now 3 days later. I found a CS Feedback link that goes to the natinal VP of CS for Comcast and sent HIM all the info..Will see if anything comes of it.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.