Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast fiasco...need advice!

tag
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Comcast fiasco...need advice!

Hi all, I'm in a bit of a pickle here with Comcast.

Basically, they sent me to collections for something that was never mine. I got a letter from "Credit Protection Association" saying I had unreturned equipment from Comcast that has been turned over to collections. At first, I thought this was in reference to my cable box which just weeks prior I had returned...but no. I called and the woman I spoke with informed me that this was a modem that was not returned. That's all fine and dandy except for one problem: I've never had Comcast internet and thus, no modem. What's even funnier is the fact that she said this account was opened in February of 2004....I was TWELVE (12) years old in Feb. of '04. 

So anyway she gave me a ticket number and turned it over to their investigations or something. Fine. Two weeks go bye and I hear nothing but come home to a second letter from CPA telling me my 30-day window to validate the debt is closing and if I don't respond in the next week it will be assumed to be correct and posted to my reports. So I call Comcast AGAIN and this lady couldn't find any record of my original call so she basically told me the same thing...that they'd look into it. This was a week ago today.

Basically my question is, should I send a validation letter to CPA in case something happens and Comcast falls through and refuses to admit their mistake? Or should I not fret and wait for them to find their error. The pessimist in me says Comcast is going to tell me to pound sand and I'm going to be stuck with this collections that is not mine. Can I still make them validate the debt if the 30 days has passed? I'm really stuck here. I'm going to try and call Comcast today and see where they're at...I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to clear my name. I've never had Comcast internet service (thus, no billing records, contracts, etc.) and to top it off I was 12 when this alleged account was opened! 

Any advice? Thanks for reading if you made it this far lol

Photobucket
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Comcast fiasco...need advice!

This is why you always send a DV snail mail CMRRR.  That way you have proof that you have requested validation.  Send the DV to Credit Protection Association, you have to DV the CA that sent you that dunning notice.  Now if they come back as validated, that's when you would file a direct dispute with the CA and incude that you were 12 at the time.  It could very well be a case of mistaken idenity.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Comcast customer service is awful, and their record keeping on devices is worse.  The earlier poster is right, you need to dispute in writing CMRRR to CPA immediately.  Ask for the make, model and serial number of the equipment you supposedly had, and the name of the person who received service.  Chances are a previous resident at your address had a modem...

Then escalate to Executive Complaints.  There are two ways to do this.  You can navigate through "contact us" to "Comments from Rick Germano" and enter an online complaint there.  Or, call Comcast (not CPA, they will eventually say "we're a third party company") and demand to speak to Executive Complaints.

Finally, you have a local Franchise Authority.  File a formal written complaint there.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I'd paint the biggest bullseye on yourself, and let them fire. After the court fiasco, you could turn around and file countersuit with extreme prejudice.

Message 4 of 10
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Burned, I disgree.  They (PA) aren't going to sue they are going to trash FloridaState12's credit by posting a collection item.  This can still be avoided.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Yeah...

Do a police ID theft report....

Send it to the CRAs, CA, and keep one copy for any future bottom-feeders.

I'm quick on sarcasm today, as I'm in a "delete Midland" frame of mind.

Message 6 of 10
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Thanks for the responses guys. I think it was just an error on their part, not really identity theft. 

Anyways, I called Comcast today and the lady I spoke with informed me that the issue has been taken care of and there is no longer any missing equipment listed on my account. I requested something in writing saying my account has been cleared and the collections cancelled and supposedly something is going to be mailed. Should I still send a DV to the CA just in case this lady was wrong, or wait a while for a letter from Comcast? 

Photobucket
Message 7 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Send the DV anyway!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 10
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys. I think it was just an error on their part, not really identity theft. 

Anyways, I called Comcast today and the lady I spoke with informed me that the issue has been taken care of and there is no longer any missing equipment listed on my account. I requested something in writing saying my account has been cleared and the collections cancelled and supposedly something is going to be mailed. Should I still send a DV to the CA just in case this lady was wrong, or wait a while for a letter from Comcast? 

Yes, by all means send the DV.  

Message 9 of 10
sharpie
Regular Contributor

I too had a Comcast fiasco.  It took three phone calls and some blowing up on my part (not proud but it happened) and the end result, I got an apology in the mail from the collection agency.

If something goes wrong with yours, I do have a good contact number for the woman who eventually fixed my issue.

Had same thing with ATT and same result - apology for bothering me.  I can handle that.  Smiley Happy  Glad to hear it probably

worked out for you but still DV. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.