Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast reporting charge-off After PFD to CA a year later

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comcast reporting charge-off After PFD to CA a year later

Hello Everyone,

I need help from the experts. The OC never reported the account to the CRA until a year later after it had been paid in full for a deletion to the CA. So I don't understand why would comcast decide to throw this paid account on my credit a year after they were paid? I disputed this with Ex and stating that it had been paid before the collection was reported by OC. Of course Ex comes back with an update as paid, written off. Also what does this mean on my credit report under this account

Creditor's Statement:
Special handling - contact subscriber for additional information.

Please give me advise I want this completely removed.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Comcast reporting charge-off After PFD to CA a year later

Are you saying that comcast is reporting this as a charged~off account, not the CA ?   And you paid the CA a year ago with a PFD agreement ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely Pizzadude.  I am saying that yes I did a PFD with the CA and they removed it from my credit file.  Now one year later Comcast just started reporting this as Paid, charge-off.  Why?  How can they report this after I paid it over a year ago with CA? Even if the CA told them about the collections late, once it was disputed why didn't Comcast remove it from my credit file rather than updating it?

Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It's strange that they would decide to report this as a CO a year after the fact that the account was paid.  

Since your PFD was with the CA and not with Comcast, I don't know if you can leverage it to get Comcast to remove.

You could try sending a copy of the letter along with a nicely worded GW request asking them to remove.

Even though it is after the fact, I think that since they are the OC they can legally report the account.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Technically, they are entitled to do what they did, but it is kinda shabby.

The occurance of the charge-off was a prior event in time that was totally unrelated to the later actions to collect the debt, or the later payment of the debt.

They took a charge-off, and there is no provision of statute preventing them from reporting that at a later time.  They reported the act of the charge-off, which is unaltered aqnd correct.  The FCRA has no time limit provision  after which the reporting of accurate information is not permitted.  Since, at the time of their reporting, the debt had been paid, then their inclusion in their reporting that the debt was charged-off and now has a balance of $0 was an accurate statement of fact.

Credit reporting is normally done to put pressure on the consumer to pay.  With that no longer being an issue, their action does seem kinda petty, but not illegal.  They could, i guess, see a duty  to maintain the integrity of the credit reporting system by making the delinquency in payment of record in your credit file.  Maybe they just werent happy with the deletion of the collection.....

I dont see any disputable inaccuracy in their reporting.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.