Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast / xfinity change of collection agency

tag
Hopingfor700s
Valued Member

Comcast / xfinity change of collection agency

Comcast just changed the collection agency.  So they assigned a new one, it has not hit my credit report as of yet.

They say I owe $107.  

I say it was for equipment, which I returned and I have a receipt from last week.

Comcast is saying it is for services, and so i still need to pay $107.  When I pressed them, they hung up on me.  What do you advise me to do?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Comcast / xfinity change of collection agency

If the prior debt collector reported a collection, then you should contact the CRA with proof that they no longer have collection authority, and have it deleted.

Then I would contact the new debt collector and make a pay for not reporting offer to ensure that they dont report.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think OP was suggesting the validity of the debt was in question.  Then it becomes a question of is it worth the fight and credit sting for $107.

Seeing as Comcast is one of the worst companies in history I don't doubt your side of the story but good luck getting anyone to reverse it.  It's probably best to pay for no report like RobertEG said and then take Comcast to small claims (or arbitration if you didn't opt out in the first 30 days) if you could somehow prove the cost is for the returned equipment and not service.  An afternoon in court vs months of credit problems which will cost you much more in the long run.

Message 3 of 7
Hopingfor700s
Valued Member

Since it is assigned to this new collection agency starting oct 1, do I have ask them in writing to not report for payment? Or if I just pay will they still try to report it?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hopingfor700s wrote:
Since it is assigned to this new collection agency starting oct 1, do I have ask them in writing to not report for payment? Or if I just pay will they still try to report it?
You can either call or write them and ask for them not to report if you pay now allot of CA's will do this, but do it quickly.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hopingfor700s wrote:

Comcast just changed the collection agency.  So they assigned a new one, it has not hit my credit report as of yet.

They say I owe $107.  

I say it was for equipment, which I returned and I have a receipt from last week.

Comcast is saying it is for services, and so i still need to pay $107.  When I pressed them, they hung up on me.  What do you advise me to do?

As indicated in one of the above responses, you have to decide whether a $107 collection on your reports is worth fighting for the principle or not. Since the new collector has not reported it, the easy way out is to pay them promptly before they report. That will almost always keep it off your reports. OTOH, if you are adamant about not paying it because you think you don't owe it, you could have a long battle on your hands. Comcast is known to be one of the worst about such things. If they think you owe it, they will fight for it tooth and nail.

Message 6 of 7
Hopingfor700s
Valued Member

I called them up and settled for $69 and they said that since it was just handed to them as of Sept 28th or something and has not reported, then they will not report it as paid etc.  So sounds like this worked.  Thank you for all the advice!!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.