Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity did a HP, now I have a card I don't want

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity did a HP, now I have a card I don't want

When I was still repairing my credit, I did the SCT, and got a Overstock.com card. However, Comenity did do a HP...

Now I have a card with low CL that I don't want. Should I even activate the card, and lower my already low AAOA?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Comenity did a HP, now I have a card I don't want

Card activation is not necessary fo them to report the account.

The account is open when they send the cards.  Activation is a security process to make sure you, the named comsumer, received the cards.

Thus, the need to use your home phone of record to activate.

Not activating will not prevent credit reporting.

Message 2 of 4
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I was still repairing my credit, I did the SCT, and got a Overstock.com card. However, Comenity did do a HP...

Now I have a card with low CL that I don't want. Should I even activate the card, and lower my already low AAOA?

I am confused. No longer repairing?  You accepted a SCT you do not want?  How long ago was that?

Sorry but  any card application should be considered carefully no matter if the offer is a pre-approval, a SCT offer or a cold app. Smiley Wink  This should not make a difference and applications should only be done if the card is of any use and never just for util padding. Also especially when rebuilding you need to expect a lower CL and a HP for a credit application. If a SCT works without a HP then let it be a nice surprise. Also remember worse than a HP is the cut of the AAoA and this is something that can never be avoided with a new account reporting. 

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You might as well keep it and use it, it is one that can grow every month, the hits to your credit will happen even if you close it. I would not close a new card till its past 6 mo old human eyes get nervous when they see accounts opened and closed quickly.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.