cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comic Relief post about resurrecting fraud CO - FINALLY deleted!!

tag
nma851
Regular Contributor

Comic Relief post about resurrecting fraud CO - FINALLY deleted!!

We all know ANY way of getting a baddie to vanish is a PLUS.  

Thought I'd give you all some chuckles over an "habitual offender" that I believe is finally resolved once & for all based on the OC's verbiage. 

Long story short, for at least 6 months, been battling this C/O as it was a fraud account.  So they delete, then reappear, delete again, reappear again - my FICO's have me seasick sometimes LOL.  Each time it reappeared I would dispute & send in the same fraud docs and other proof of fraud accounts that occurred during the same timeframe.  Then out of the blue, it vanished - all without me having to push the issue - and this made me QUITE skeptical. 

Seeing the TL deleted today again was timed perfect with the (paraphrased) letter that reads (typos included & yes, this is EXACTLY how they wrote minus some "standard" verbiage):

Dear Guy Who Won't Let This Go:

After further attempts to investigate your account RE: fraud account ending in 2396, we have made an "executive decision" to permanently delete this TL from all 3 bureaus and to close this account as a Fraudulent/Stolen/Illegal Use.  

We further appreciate your 23 pages on how to report the account after closure due to fraud, all the affidavits of fraud, and the complaints filed with the FTC, FDIC, ATG, CFPB, and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.  This data assisted us in our reasearch however it has become cumbersome for our research as well given our retention policy does not prescribe we retain data that is greater than 5 years old on closed accounts. 

This status shall not be reported as the entire TL has been submitted for deletion as a "DF" rather than a "DA" since you have a solid understanding of the Metro-2 reporting format.  The reason we are using a "DF" is to ensure this account does not reappear again as we are concluding this to be a fraud account despite the 6 years that has elapsed since your first indication of such. (GO MYFICO FOR THE INFO ON THIS STUFF!)  You are further correct that this account should and will be removed as a fraud account and should not be updated as a "paid" account.  As you explained in your last correspondence, deletion of the account as prescribed by the FCRA is proper utilizing the CDIA data you attached.  

Please understand it is not advisable to pay accounts that you believe are Fraudulent.  While we understand and accept your explanation that, even though it is 6 years later, you did attempt to let us know this could be a possible fraud account.  You indicated you paid this in good faith, your last payment being on 08/13/2008, as you were unaware this was opened fraudulently.  It is further been concluded that we have no original application on file, we have no signatures or charge-slips with your signature, and the age of this account is not worth the effort for our bank to research further. (HAHA!  really?  I wore ya out huh?)

In light of the above, it is easier for us to declare this, contrary to policy, as a fraud account while removing the account permanently.  In the future, to protect your credit rating, please advise your lenders of suspicious activity ASAP or no greater than 60 days to protect your rights.  It is NOT recommended to wait 6 years to bring up the potential of a fraud account.  We understand that it was not until the account reported were you aware that this account had existed that length of time.  Overall, this is not a common occurrence and it is in the best interest for both you, as our VALUED cardholder, and us to simply close the account while deleting any/all references to this account for the reasons set forth. (blah blah)

We apologize for the inconvenience and we hope this is satisfactory.  Again, please remember to advise ANY lender of potential fraud as soon as you suspect such.  You may also want to have the CRAs show a fraud alert for additional protection (blah blah).  We would appreciate that you rescind any and all ongoing complaints with the FTC, FDIC, CFPB, ATG, et.al. as we are providing you a permanent closure to this situation and this letter serves said purpose.  We further apologize for the inconveniences that resulted from your attempts to resolve this matter.  This is easier for our resources, at this time, due to the amount of labor already utilized to attempt and reasearch this account.  We thank you for your continued patience and we hope you would reconsider us in the future. 

Repectfully Yours,

Lazy Executive Manager that is tired of hearing your name, we're over it, we're done for good

Mind you, just as the letter indicated, this was "resurrected" last year around June 2013.  They deleted it then.  It's reappeared & been deleted many times since.  Each time it reappeared & I redisputed, it truly took me sending over 100 pages of Fraud Affidavits to the FTC (or CFPB) and the FDIC.  I speculate it was due to this intervention that they finally caved.  It is also true that I notified them back in the day (2008) and it's also true I paid on it as I honestly didn't realize it was a fraud account.  I had just went through a house fire, mail was going everywhere, the last thing on my mind was "is this really mine?" whenever I had recently had to reissue all cards due to the fire and had not ONE record of anything due to the fire.  The people responsible for the Fraud were the cleanup crew that tried to salvage/cleanup before I rebuilt but the main point is look at the EXTREME measures one has to go through to "clear their name". 

Notice how they didn't admit or deny either - they just got fed up LOL.  Either way, no longer will have to hear about a credit alert tanking my score only for it to go right back up again.  Hopefully I can call all my current creditors & tell em it is FINALLY over & done with.  I will heed their advice - NOT wait 6 years again - but LET ME KNOW BEFORE 6 YEARS AND I WOULD!  My gosh it took y'all 6 years to figure out it was reported back in 2008 & quit paying in 2008 for the same reason?  Yes, I did pay it when I got the first 2 bills but look at what I was up against (rebuilding/repurchasing an entire home AND its contents) so I really was not paying attention to the statements - just paying them!  

BAD BANK RECORDS = GOOD RESULTS FOR ME!!!!!  THAT AND HOUNDING THEM TO DEATH!

There's your comic relief for the day.  I wore out a creditor by hassling them to death with paperwork.  We'll call it the "DBPO method: Delete by Paperwork Overload".  Draw your own conclusions Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Hope you all have a great start to your weekend!!

BCE: 22.5K; BC-REW: 15K; QSSIG: 15K; CITI: 6K; FREE: 15.5K; DISC-IT: 17K; FCU: 20K; FCU-HELOC: 7.3/45K; AMZ-MC: 6.5K; KAY: 7.4K, LOWES VISA: 22K. FICOS: EX: 829; TU: 812, EQ: 822- 21 OCT 15. (NEVER TO FORGET PRE-MF: 635, 629, & 630 in Oct 2012)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MeOnMyWay

Re: Comic Relief post about resurrecting fraud CO - FINALLY deleted!!

This is beautiful.
So maybe this is the solution for a lot of crummy credit situations...Turn the tables on the whole unscrupulous lot...Become as annoying and relentless (or more) toward them as they have been to you.  Anyway...Congratulations! That was a lot of work!!

Message 2 of 5
nma851
Regular Contributor

@MeOnMyWay wrote:

This is beautiful.
So maybe this is the solution for a lot of crummy credit situations...Turn the tables on the whole unscrupulous lot...Become as annoying and relentless (or more) toward them as they have been to you.  Anyway...Congratulations! That was a lot of work!!

Thanks for this! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

It was TRULY ticking me off having 3 alerts hit, dropping me down into the mid 600's, only to pop right back up once I redisputed.  I even had to deal with Chase threatening to give me the boot over a "Recent Charge Off".  To complicate matters, they were reporting the CO as of "yesterday" (or whenever it would reappear) which is what was tanking my score until I either got it in dispute and/or removed again.  No joke - 9 times later - I'd have to say I either wore em' out or they just caved as they admit "we don't have data past 5 years".  Pretty sure THAT was the deal-maker!

I just feel like a complete idiot for not paying attention, paying on that thing, and let "whomever" have free stuff at my expense.  Back when that was opened, it had a nice CL of $6,500 so it could have been MUCH much worse.  Lessons learned again!!  While responsibility includes paying each month, make sure what you're paying IS YOUR ACCOUNT!  I hate to say I was stupid - but I was - and paying it as I did for 3 months, post-fire, I never thought once to look through the statement as I normally would.  This doesn't excuse my behavior - but they surely could have said something WELL before 6 years versus using those 6 years against me.  

At any rate, you're right - I will NEVER have to worry about this again.  Identity Theft, especially after a house fire or other huge loss, is one HECK of a process to clear one's good name.  NONE of it is easy - especially when any/all records are burned up!  When we don't receive anything anymore, why would we believe we have to pay something much less dispute it?  They just got me at the right time - in total, 4 cards opened fraudulently, they found old checks that had not burned and went Krogering, and they even got a nice 2008 Ford F-150 that they actually PAID ON for 3 years & never defaulted before paying it off.  Where that truck is today, I do not know - but nevertheless, glad I was able to help out some thieves!  Sigh on my part even more I know....

All the best - and try to have a good weekend!

BCE: 22.5K; BC-REW: 15K; QSSIG: 15K; CITI: 6K; FREE: 15.5K; DISC-IT: 17K; FCU: 20K; FCU-HELOC: 7.3/45K; AMZ-MC: 6.5K; KAY: 7.4K, LOWES VISA: 22K. FICOS: EX: 829; TU: 812, EQ: 822- 21 OCT 15. (NEVER TO FORGET PRE-MF: 635, 629, & 630 in Oct 2012)
Message 3 of 5
creditlost
New Contributor

Thx for posting..That was absolutely a great read!!!

Message 4 of 5
nma851
Regular Contributor

@creditlost wrote:

Thx for posting..That was absolutely a great read!!!

This just goes to show that disputes do NOT get supporting documentation sent over!  Even with snail mail methods, it is evident the CRAs are not doing what they're supposed to do.  They're take is throw it in E-Oscar & our job is done.  

Interesting as well - it wasn't until the FDIC/FTC complaint did the CRAs even send those documents.  I'm sure they'll be 'scolded' for such behavior however this entire situation proves the CRAs are still doing the least possible, to the furnisher's advantage, and not complying with the FCRA regarding ACDV's (or the ACDV process if they want to convert everything electronically).  

Such is life - at least it's over & at least they were made fools of in the process & now have a ton of paperwork to finalize for all the complaints - unless that is "just too much work" too.  New dispute method coming forth:  IRRITATE EM UNTIL THEY CAVE!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.