Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CommonWealth Financial deleted!!! PRA & Midland remain

tag
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

CommonWealth Financial deleted!!! PRA & Midland remain

I replied to the BBB's email on Friday and this morning Commonwealth is gone!  It only raised my husbands credit karma score a few points (5 on TU and 7 on EQ) but hey at least it's gone! LOL Praying it doesn't come back!

I still can't figure out why PRA is getting away with being listed in the closed accounts and can manage to still report and stay on the CR!  Midland updated their collection as well Smiley Sad

Starting all over again!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CommonWealth Financial deleted!!! PRA & Midland remain

@kennerchick wrote:

I replied to the BBB's email on Friday and this morning Commonwealth is gone!  It only raised my husbands credit karma score a few points (5 on TU and 7 on EQ) but hey at least it's gone! LOL Praying it doesn't come back!

I still can't figure out why PRA is getting away with being listed in the closed accounts and can manage to still report and stay on the CR!  Midland updated their collection as well Smiley Sad

Are they still updating?  Unless a PFD, they can continue to report until they are legally required to fall off or you qualify for EE.  I have a Midland account that I paid off last summer that will continue to remain on my report until this fall.  Wish it would go away, so that all I would have on my reports are a few lates from Santander (I really hate that bank).  My next car loan will be with either PenFed, SDFCU, or BBVA.  Haven't heard anything else relating to the accounts affected by the CFPB's settlment with with PRA and Encore Capital. 

Message 2 of 14
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kennerchick wrote:

Are they still updating?  Unless a PFD, they can continue to report until they are legally required to fall off or you qualify for EE.  I have a Midland account that I paid off last summer that will continue to remain on my report until this fall.  Wish it would go away, so that all I would have on my reports are a few lates from Santander (I really hate that bank).  My next car loan will be with either PenFed, SDFCU, or BBVA.  Haven't heard anything else relating to the accounts affected by the CFPB's settlment with with PRA and Encore Capital. 

Yep they are still updating, showing with a balance, unpaid and closed which means that they no longer have authority to collect from what I've read in this forum.  Everytime I dispute it, it comes back as updated, verified and now PRA has sent a letter telling me that they will not reply to any more disputes of the samething and it would be a frivilous dispute.  Yet my dispute is that it shows as closed and they are still reporting/updating.  It's beyond the SOL so they can't sue us.

I wish we would here something about that, it would be nice to have it off the CR.  Encore was removed from hubby's report, we didn't do any disputing on that one yet and found it deleted before we started. LOL ERC, PRA and Midland were 3 we didn't want to deal with until last.

Starting all over again!
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kennerchick wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kennerchick wrote:

Yep they are still updating, showing with a balance, unpaid and closed which means that they no longer have authority to collect from what I've read in this forum.  Everytime I dispute it, it comes back as updated, verified and now PRA has sent a letter telling me that they will not reply to any more disputes of the samething and it would be a frivilous dispute.  Yet my dispute is that it shows as closed and they are still reporting/updating.  It's beyond the SOL so they can't sue us.

I wish we would here something about that, it would be nice to have it off the CR.  Encore was removed from hubby's report, we didn't do any disputing on that one yet and found it deleted before we started. LOL ERC, PRA and Midland were 3 we didn't want to deal with until last.

As long as the collection hasn't been paid off or settled, they still have authority to collect; if it's past the statute of limitations, they can't sue you, but that doesn't mean that they can't still update and keep your score from improving.  That's why I paid off mine because I needed to work on establishing good credit (shooting for a mortgage in 2017) and I knew as long as they continued to be a thorn in my side I couldn't move forward.  My last collection with Midland reports as paid, closed, but hasn't updated since July 2015. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kennerchick wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kennerchick wrote:

If this is the case and you truly believe you have a legit dispute. Keep disputing it and eventually they won't respond to the CRA and the CRA will delete based on PRA not responding. Be relentless, and I say be relentless only if it is justified.....

Message 5 of 14
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As long as the collection hasn't been paid off or settled, they still have authority to collect; if it's past the statute of limitations, they can't sue you, but that doesn't mean that they can't still update and keep your score from improving.  That's why I paid off mine because I needed to work on establishing good credit (shooting for a mortgage in 2017) and I knew as long as they continued to be a thorn in my side I couldn't move forward.  My last collection with Midland reports as paid, closed, but hasn't updated since July 2015. 

Robert or Norman if not both have said that if a collection is showing as unpaid and closed and showing a balance, that can mean that they no longer have authority for the collection. When I disputed it being closed and no authority this last time, I ruffled some feathers because of the letter they sent about frivolous disputes.

Starting all over again!
Message 6 of 14
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kennerchick wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kennerchick wrote:

If this is the case and you truly believe you have a legit dispute. Keep disputing it and eventually they won't respond to the CRA and the CRA will delete based on PRA not responding. Be relentless, and I say be relentless only if it is justified.....

Thanks Donny10.  I didn't think of that! LOL

Starting all over again!
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kennerchick wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Robert or Norman if not both have said that if a collection is showing as unpaid and closed and showing a balance, that can mean that they no longer have authority for the collection. When I disputed it being closed and no authority this last time, I ruffled some feathers because of the letter they sent about frivolous disputes.

I guess I'm confused as to whether or not you still owe them or if you have settled the account?  If you have settled the account, they cannot keep reporting it as unpaid, but they can keep it on your credit file until it is 7 1/2 years past the Date of First Delinquency. Also, where are the reporting this information?  Is it in your annual credit report or your 1B Fico report?

Message 8 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Reporting their collection as closed implies that their collection authority is terminated.

Yes, it "can" mean that.   But can doesnt legally mean it must.

I dont know why they would report their collection as closed if they still have active collection authority, as still shown by a reported balance under their collection and by continued collection activities on their part, and it is a bit confusing, but I would not make a federal FCRA case over it.  If you have raised the issue with them on dispute and they verify that reporting of closed is accurate, then I would let it be without attempting to feret out why they consider it accurate.

They tell you whether they have authority, you dont tell them whether they do based on your implication.

They have said that they sitll have authority, so there would then be no basis for asserting the CRA delete based on a factual determination to the contrary.

Message 9 of 14
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kennerchick wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I'm confused as to whether or not you still owe them or if you have settled the account?  If you have settled the account, they cannot keep reporting it as unpaid, but they can keep it on your credit file until it is 7 1/2 years past the Date of First Delinquency. 

Nope!  These people already violated the FDCPA by calling and leaving a message for my husband on his employers phone for his boss and anyone else to hear!  They are closed (FRI - SUN) and so since no one answered, they left a message.  I dealt with that via BBB and they no longer call.  I should have did a civil suit but I didn't know much about all this when that happened.  I've only been working on this for a little over a year now.  I've never paid, never accepted a deal from them either.  We are out of SOL so I'm not opening that again.

So to be clear, these are 3 unpaid, closed accounts (2 hubby, 1 mine) still reporting.

Starting all over again!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.