Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commonwealth Financial & Northeast Credit & Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Commonwealth Financial & Northeast Credit & Collections

Good morning!  I am somewhat new to this forum, but have used what I have leared to greatly help me move closer to cleaning up my credit.  I am looking for some assistance with a collection agency, and how to handle it the best way.  I had an old emergency room bill that was not paid.  It was 1 of 3 collections on my report that I had left to clean up.  This collection is from 2010, but since I am trying to qualify to purchase a home in January, I know that I need to have these all taken care of.

I have done my best to not have any bad information hit my credit report in the last 2 years and was upset to find that on 6/28/15 a new collection was added to my TU report dropping my score by 23 points!  I waited a few days to see who the collection was from and low and behold it was the same company that was already on my credit report - Commonwealth Financial Systems.  They had just sent me a letter a week before offering me a 25% discount, but I had not really looked into it, since I wasn't sure what i was going to do.

Now that this had hit my account, I looked at the letter and it was the same.  I logged onto thier system and found the account.  I navigated and found were I could pay this account for 50%.  So I called them up and asked why this had hit my account for a second time, and was told that they were not aware as to why.  I asked them to check to make sure that I didn't have any other outstanding debt with them.  The gentleman looked it up and stated I did not have any further collections with them.  I requested a PFD on the settlement price of 50%, he agreed and sent me the letter and I then paid the account.  I got the reciept and asked him how long will it take to remove from my credit report and will both be deleted?  He stated that they are told to say 30-90 days, but that they upload every Sunday.

On sunday myFICO alert hit with a change to my credit report.  I was extatic as I believed it was them removing the collection.  Imagine my surprise when I find that it was another decrease for a NEW collection.

I looked at the information and found that the company is the same company using a different name, now I owe a Northeast Credit & Collections for the same $150.  I have my reciept of payment and the letter from commonweatht that states that as long as all funds have cleared, this shall confirm this debt as "statisfied" and you will have not further obligation to the above referenced creditor.  We will also notify the three major creidt bureaus to delet the above refernced account as soon as possible.

So now they are using a different name and stating I still owe $150?

I know I said a lot, but can someone tell me what is my best option?  Contact the company I paid on Friday, call the new company, DV the new company, or any other suggestions.  I am upset as I have strived to work on all these baddies little by littel and have had some luck, but don't need any new stuff that is really 5 years old coming up and causing issues for me now~

Thank you in advance for your assistance and knowledge~

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Commonwealth Financial & Northeast Credit & Collections

@Anonymous wrote:

Good morning!  I am somewhat new to this forum, but have used what I have leared to greatly help me move closer to cleaning up my credit.  I am looking for some assistance with a collection agency, and how to handle it the best way.  I had an old emergency room bill that was not paid.  It was 1 of 3 collections on my report that I had left to clean up.  This collection is from 2010, but since I am trying to qualify to purchase a home in January, I know that I need to have these all taken care of.

I have done my best to not have any bad information hit my credit report in the last 2 years and was upset to find that on 6/28/15 a new collection was added to my TU report dropping my score by 23 points!  I waited a few days to see who the collection was from and low and behold it was the same company that was already on my credit report - Commonwealth Financial Systems.  They had just sent me a letter a week before offering me a 25% discount, but I had not really looked into it, since I wasn't sure what i was going to do.

Now that this had hit my account, I looked at the letter and it was the same.  I logged onto thier system and found the account.  I navigated and found were I could pay this account for 50%.  So I called them up and asked why this had hit my account for a second time, and was told that they were not aware as to why.  I asked them to check to make sure that I didn't have any other outstanding debt with them.  The gentleman looked it up and stated I did not have any further collections with them.  I requested a PFD on the settlement price of 50%, he agreed and sent me the letter and I then paid the account.  I got the reciept and asked him how long will it take to remove from my credit report and will both be deleted?  He stated that they are told to say 30-90 days, but that they upload every Sunday.

On sunday myFICO alert hit with a change to my credit report.  I was extatic as I believed it was them removing the collection.  Imagine my surprise when I find that it was another decrease for a NEW collection.

I looked at the information and found that the company is the same company using a different name, now I owe a Northeast Credit & Collections for the same $150.  I have my reciept of payment and the letter from commonweatht that states that as long as all funds have cleared, this shall confirm this debt as "statisfied" and you will have not further obligation to the above referenced creditor.  We will also notify the three major creidt bureaus to delet the above refernced account as soon as possible.

So now they are using a different name and stating I still owe $150?

I know I said a lot, but can someone tell me what is my best option?  Contact the company I paid on Friday, call the new company, DV the new company, or any other suggestions.  I am upset as I have strived to work on all these baddies little by littel and have had some luck, but don't need any new stuff that is really 5 years old coming up and causing issues for me now~

Thank you in advance for your assistance and knowledge~

You're certain these are separate listings and not just updates? Updates of current listings will trigger a "new collection" alert. Pull your file from annualcreditreport.com, if you have not done so in the last year, and see if this is really two separate listings by Commonwealth and a third by NCC or if its just one listing thats been updated.

As a FYI, removal of collection items from your reports will NOT trigger a myFICO alert. You need to use a third party puller like CK to watch for that.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I am sure that they are different listings.  They have the same information but different account numbers with thier company.  The new collection that posted has a different number as well, but same original creditor.

As for the alerts... you may not have your settings to tell you, but i am unable to post a screen shot of myFICO account that shows you what I am talking about, but it says somthing simalar to this...

}  7/5/2015 TransUnion

A new collection as been added to your credit report (decrease 7)

}  6/28/2015 TransUnion

A new collection as been added to your credit report  (decrease 23)

O 6/28/2015 TransUnion

Your FICO schore has decreased from 653 to 630

} = telephone icon

O = circle icon on my FICO

But thank you for your information...

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I am sure that they are different listings.  They have the same information but different account numbers with thier company.  The new collection that posted has a different number as well, but same original creditor.

As for the alerts... you may not have your settings to tell you, but i am unable to post a screen shot of myFICO account that shows you what I am talking about, but it says somthing simalar to this...

}  7/5/2015 TransUnion

}  6/28/2015 TransUnion

O 6/28/2015 TransUnion

} = telephone icon

Are they only reporting on TU?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, the 7/5/2015 post was on equifax and the other two were transunion. 

I requested the UDF from the agency.  Hopefully now I can work with the CB to have it removed... have copy of reciept of payemnt, the letter showing satisfied and deleted and the print out of the file that shows they requested the deletion.  fingers crossed I get this off soon... can't afford to have this on here when I have a house to buy!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

}  7/5/2015 TransUnion

}  6/28/2015 TransUnion

O 6/28/2015 TransUnion

} = telephone icon

Are they only reporting on TU?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just sit tight and monitor things for the next 30-60 days. The CRA's really do not look kindly towards CA's doing PFD. When you "bring it to their attention" it may ultimately cause them to pressure the CA's to stop doing it. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.