Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely overwhelmed....

tag
tamdugg1980
Contributor

Completely overwhelmed....

I am a newbie to credit repair.  My credit has been bad all my life.  I do not think there was one point in my life where my credit score was above 600. Smiley Indifferent  I am ashamed of that last sentence, but no more living in the past.  It is time to grow up and make changes for my future.  I am 31, employed, and I am currently in the process of purchasing a home.  Needless to say, my low credit score is making this process hard.  In order for me to take advantage of a first time homebuyer grant program, my credit score needs to be at least a 620.  I'm about 90 or so points off.  Most of my debt is old, a lot of collections and a lot of late payments.  I've begun the process to repair my credit by doing the following:

1. I have three collection accounts with RJM Acquisitions.  I sent them a letter CMRRR on 05/04/2011 asking them for a PFD.  

2. My credit card has a $250 limit which it was over, I paid that down to $10 on 05/05/11

3. I sent a goodwill letter to my credit card company (same one as above) to have them remove the late payments that are reporting on my CR, on 05/04/11

4. I was sent a letter of settlement from WFNB, they offered me 50% of my total due and said they would report the account as "settled in full" (not sure how to handle that) Received: 05/07/11

5. My student loan company contacted me about loan consolidation, which would pay off the balances of the old loans and create on large loan. Will work on the consolidation this week.

I also have an account with Univ of Phoenix in the amount of $1500, that I would like to dispute as when I attended there, I took out student loans, so I'm trying to figure out how I owe them $1500, with this account I plan a DV.  

Needless to say, all of this is fairly new to me.  All the terms, (DV, CA, FDRA, etc) have been a blur for the few weeks I've been lurking around.  I finally decided to step out of the shadows and take control of my financial life.  Here is to my first step to financial freedom!

myFICO score: 530 (and I'm not ashamed of that anymore)

Starting score: (April 2011) 530 - myFICO EQ
Current score: (04/2012) EQ - 608 (myFICO), EX FAKO - 671, TU FAKO - 619

Let's see what happens once they report minus the late payments!!!!!!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Completely overwhelmed....

Taking responsibility is the first step. I know! I am in the same boat as you Smiley Happy Just stick the forums and ask as many quesitons as you want, you will get the guidance you are seeking

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.