cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complicated--How to handle husband's forthcoming bankruptcy w/ joint accounts and AU situations?

tag
queenbee66

Re: Complicated--How to handle husband's forthcoming bankruptcy w/ joint accounts and AU situations?

Thank you...good info.

@Anonymous wrote:

IF he does go through with the BK, before he files, remove yourself as AU on any of his cards, and to be on the safe side, remove him from any of your cards.  You can always add him back on after the BK smoke clears. 

You won't be able to remove yourself from the joint account and you can't choose what accounts to include in BK.  He would have to list ALL of his creditors.  Also reports are pulled and notice of the BK is sent to each listed creditor.  So even if an account is left off, there's still a good chance they'll get the notice.  Accounts that are at zero balance and open will need to be listed as they are a creditor.  Even unlisted creditors often times voluntarily include themselves in the BK once they get hte notice.  For any closed accounts, try to pay them down to zero before filing if there's a balance, less inclination for the creditor to join the bk bandwagon then.

Lastly, when I filed my Ch 7 in 2004, I had a loan that my mom had co-signed for me, so a joint account basically.  I put off filing while I tried to pay this loan off because I didn't want to hurt her credit with the bk.  My attorney had told me to go ahead and file and if it started reporting negatively on her reports as IIB, that she could dispute it as saying she had never filed for bk.  Which was accurate.  That's exactly what happened.  She disputed it and it updated on her report as a normal positive account (but closed).

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.