Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerned about a debt I paid off with Convergent Outsourcing, Inc

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Concerned about a debt I paid off with Convergent Outsourcing, Inc

I'm newbie to myFICO and paying off debt in general, so forgive me if I sound oblivious. Lol 

I'm currently in the process of clearing my bad, non-medical debt so I can move on with Habitat for Humanity. After paying off my husband's, and two other debts, I moved on to an overdue Sprint bill that was bought by Convergent Outsourcing, Inc. It was listed on my credit report so I thought nothing of it. The amount on my credit report and the balance I paid them were the same. I paid by check so I had to wait 10 days for a receipt by email just to make sure the check cleared. 10 days later, nothing. I've called and confirmed my email address that they were supposed to send the receipt to 4 time already and each time I speak to the same person without asking for Kirsy, the lady I spoke with when I made the payment.

Now I'm starting to feel uneasy. I researched into Convergent Outsourcing, Inc and see multiple pages with how it's a scam and how they are attempting to collect fake debts and debts from 6+ years ago.

I plan on recording our conversation, repeat the date I paid the debt, the problems that I've been having, and demanding to speak to whomever is above Kirsy. If that doesn't work, I plan on telling her that I'm going to report to my state Attorney General’s office, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as a scare tactic, but I'm starting to feel like I should now.

So my questions is, what kind of legal matters should I pursue if any? Or what should I say to her or do in general? I'm completely new to all of this and I'm a bit scared. Any kind of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Concerned about a debt I paid off with Convergent Outsourcing, Inc

Welcome to the forums !

I moved your post to the Rebuilding Your Credit forum for better visibility.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Do you have the cashed check? There's a good place to start should you need to file charges of bank fraud first off

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, unfortunatly. I paid by check over the phone. I believe they made the check number the date. I'll go to the bank tomorrow and let them know the situation and go from there.

Message 4 of 7
baller4life
Super Contributor

So you are saying that you paid a valid debt but it's yet to be updated as paid on your credit reports? Did you not send a pfd? I have paid Convergent for a couple of accounts and was emailed and mailed receipts without any problems. I would call and ask to speak to a supervisor and explain your situation. I'm sure he/she would make sure you got a receipt. I would also start the gw process to get the account removed from your reports. In the future, always go the pfd route. You not only want it paid. You want it deleted.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to talk to another representive this time and she put me on hold and called the email department. She got back on the line with me and said that she will stay on the line until I received the receipt. She also said that it can take 30 to 90 days for it to show up as paid so if nothing happens by 90 days, then I'll follow up. Right now I'm not so much in a hurry for my credit to go up since Habitat for Humanity just needs the receipts and I'm holding off on getting a credit card until 2016. It'll give me plenty of time to take care of my medical debts and have them fall off by then. 

I'll keep the PDF in mind next time, but can you explain what you mean when you say that? I know it is a document file, but is it of the check or something else?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

PDF=Pay For Deletion, meaning they promise to remove it completely from your credit file if you pay it. Some will do it some won't. If you intend to pay it, always ask. Some will do it after the fact if you request it.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.