cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerned--some collection company trying to serve me papers! Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Concerned--some collection company trying to serve me papers! Help!

So, I am concerned.  Someone came by my apartment today and attempted to serve me papers--I was not home, but spoke with the person who tried to deliver them--she said she didn't know the company (just the messenger) but it said it was from "Bonded Collections".  Help!  What do I do?  Do I accept the papers?  I don't have a ton of money sitting around to pay off a debt in one lump sum, but am afraid they will threaten to garnish wages or something--what are my options?  I'm doing my best to rebuild my credit and will NOT allow some judgment to find its way onto my report, but how do I avoid it if I don't have the $$$ to pay up front?  I'm a student for crying out loud.

Thanks for your help!

N

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Concerned--some collection company trying to serve me papers! Help!

Well if they are trying to serve you - IMO it is always better to just go ahead and let them serve you because they will find some shady way to consider it done and you could get screwed.

Example - depending on the laws where you live they could leave it taped to your door and it could get stolen and you would never know what was inside... then if you end up missing the court date because you didn't know about it... you automatically loose.

No good can come from avoiding the inevitable. Its better to accept it and have time to get prepared. You can always ask to have your court date moved up.

Also once you know whats going on you could contact your states legal aid dept and see if you can get free legal counselling. I qualified when I was sued over a gym membership that I cancelled when I was a college student. I still ended up having to pay the debt I owed but under terms I could afford and we managed to do it outside of court so I didn't end up with a judgement.

Good LucK!

Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto. Let them serve you. Once you find out who it is, then post back.

If it is a CA, then you'd want to investigate them. Look for state licensing requirements. Look for DOFD. Look to see if it is within SOL. Look for your own info on the OC. And make sure you DV the CA immediately upon learning of the name.

Next, look up the licensing info on the attorney representing if applicable. Check to see if they are allowed to practice. You can check via the state or local bar association. And then answer that summons, assuming it is a summons.

Also, your court will already have info publicly available for this case, if it is one.

Message Edited by llecs on 10-18-2008 11:18 PM
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could be wrong but the person who gave you the paper is from county clerk, read them carefully or ask some help. I think that is a summon. The best way is call them ask for settle outside the court. The worst thing could happen if you not show up the court you will received default judgment. you dont want that happen, if you dont have money still go to the court and tell the judge your are a student.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.