Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused- Collection Accounts and how to get started

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused- Collection Accounts and how to get started

I have read and read so much that I am now so confused.  I have about 10 collections on my credit.  I can say they are mine.  Many are just a few years old and some much older.

What I want to know is do i send the three CRA certified letters trying to dispute or to verify first and what and the send the PFD to the CA?

If someone would just tell me the step by step way to begin I would be so grateful.

Thanks

Leah

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused- Collection Accounts and how to get started

I am just looking for step by step of what to do with old collections reporting on my credit.  Do I send DV letters to the old ones or just PDF letters and hope they will remove if I pay in full? 

What do I send to CRAs ? Do I dispute these collections one at a time with all 3 CRA to see if what happens. 

Anyone????

Message 2 of 7
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

What are the SOLs on all those accounts. Can you PIF on all of them? How many accounts in all and what are the balances in general?

Firstly, list and organize all your accounts and study them. Check if they are all yours, balances and dates and type of listings are accurate etc.Then go over the history of those accounts w.r.t communication with the CAs, OCs etc. Have you received the dunning letters? 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have studied my reports they are all my accounts.  I live in IL where can I find the SOL for my state? 

I can PIF. I just want to know if I need to send letters to the CRA first or letters to the CA.  I want to get letters out soon and just want the steps. 

I have recieved letters over the years from all of them and of course I ignored them.  If the SOL is up do i send letter to the CRA to delete?

I have a few from about 1-2 years ago sould i just verify then send a PFD?  The biggest one I have is maybe $600 the rest are $50-250. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Writing to the CRA is usually no help. I would skip contacting them for now.

If you check the state resources thread at the top of this board you can find your state's SOL.

What is the DOFD or removal date? This would only be listed on reports directly from the CRA.

SOL refers to the time they have to sue you to recover the debt and is set by each state.

CRTP is how long they can report on your report and is not affected by your state's SOL. It is 7 - 7 1/2 years from DOFD.

If beyond SOL or you can PIF, your first step is to DV.

Check the links below-- very helpful information-- especially the "Where do I start?" link.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks side winder! I will read all those links !

Much appreciated!~

Message 6 of 7
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

I have studied my reports they are all my accounts.  I live in IL where can I find the SOL for my state? 

If you've studied all those accounts, did you find any FCRA violations?  PLease look at the stickies at the stop - state resources - to be specific, to find your SOL.

I can PIF. I just want to know if I need to send letters to the CRA first or letters to the CA.  I want to get letters out soon and just want the steps. 

If you feel that all the accounts and balances etc are accurate, you could offer PFDs to the CAs. If there are any errors send out DVs to the CAs. They dont have to respond to your DVs though if you have never responded to their dunning letters within 30 days. If there ARE errors in their reporting and they dont respond to your DVs, send out dispute letters to the CRAs. 

I have recieved letters over the years from all of them and of course I ignored them.  If the SOL is up do i send letter to the CRA to delete?

SOL has got nothing to do with deletion. If the CRTP(7 years or 7.5 for COs) is up, you could ask the CRAs to delete.If the SOL is up they cant sue you for the debt but will continue to collect. Likewise with CRTP. They will stop reporting but will continue to collect. 

I have a few from about 1-2 years ago sould i just verify then send a PFD?  The biggest one I have is maybe $600 the rest are $50-250. 

Since the balances are small, you could obtain a PFD but absolutely not necesary. YMMV. The CAs have good reasons not to delete. Theres a better chance of them agreeing to your PFD offers if the SOLs are past. SOL in Illinois tolls too incidentally.

ETA: OT: Sidewinder is way too quick. 

Message Edited by nothingman02 on 04-07-2009 04:24 PM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.