Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused...Dont know where to start

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused...Dont know where to start

Hello there.  Been lurking here for a few months now and finally decided to make my first post.  There is a ton of great information here and I am grateful to have found this forum.  To be completely honest i do not know where to start.  Looking for some guidance on where to start.  I guess when i think about it the hardest part is just getting started.  Credit is one of those taboo's you do not wish to talk about especially when you do not have good credit.

I had a Credco credit report ran nearly 12 months ago.  I am not sure if i should go off of this report or get a new report.

Equifax - 574

Experian - 586

Trans Union - 619

The reasons factoring the scores are 38, 20, 14, 13. 

I just do not know where to start.  Do i just send 1 PFD at a time, 1 GW letter at a time?  Or can i just send a bunch a time.  It is really all just so confusing.  How did you start when rebuilding credit?  My goal is to be able to buy a house in the next 12 months.  I know i have alot of work and have seen success stories on here.  Any advice would be great.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Confused...Dont know where to start

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello there.  Been lurking here for a few months now and finally decided to make my first post.  There is a ton of great information here and I am grateful to have found this forum.  To be completely honest i do not know where to start.  Looking for some guidance on where to start.  I guess when i think about it the hardest part is just getting started.  Credit is one of those taboo's you do not wish to talk about especially when you do not have good credit.

I had a Credco credit report ran nearly 12 months ago.  I am not sure if i should go off of this report or get a new report.

Equifax - 574

Experian - 586

Trans Union - 619

The reasons factoring the scores are 38, 20, 14, 13. 

I just do not know where to start.  Do i just send 1 PFD at a time, 1 GW letter at a time?  Or can i just send a bunch a time.  It is really all just so confusing.  How did you start when rebuilding credit?  My goal is to be able to buy a house in the next 12 months.  I know i have alot of work and have seen success stories on here.  Any advice would be great.

Welcome to MyFICO! We are glad you are here Smiley Happy

To answer your question, I would start with pulling your current credit reports from www.annualcreditreport.com

They are free to you once a year - each report.

Download them - pdf or print so you have accurate info on your actual credit report status right now.

I would also read here in the rebuilding forum how to handle each type of derogatory you have on each report. Start at the top with the stickies with this thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Helpful-Rebuilding-Threads/td-p/224981

There are some excellent threads here where posters started where you are and moved their score up substantially in a matter of months. Ask questions. Read the stories for inspiration. 

Also, during this time, do the 3 B monitoring so you can see your progress of your mortgage scores. They don't update nearly as often as FICO 8 scores but it is still very helpful.  

I am one of those that is a big picture type person - start with the goal and then drill down to the specifics.  Others like to start with one type of repair: GW for example or PFD's, others send letters to every derog at the same time. You have to work a plan that is comfortable for you and when you get tired or stressed, take a break. 

I know I didn't really answer your question, but everyone's process is a little different.  You can do this...one step at a time. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.