Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused - Need Help :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused - Need Help :(

Been lurking around the forums for about a month now - spying on all of you....LOL

I have some issues in my wreck of a credit report that I'm trying to get at least improved - I think it will be the better part of a decade before it might be good, but I'll take improving. My scores are hovering in the 580-590 range (although Experian shows 611). I defaulted and then rehabed student loans, so I know that will take forever to go away (if they ever do Smiley Frustrated) and I have some medical bills dating back to 2008 that are hurting, but those should fall off soon, right?

My questions are:

I have a couple of smaller more recent collections - if I were to attempt a PFD - should I contact the Collection Agency or the originial creditor (if known)?

Secondly, I have a charged off credit card showing up on my Equifax report with "Opened Date Aug 01, 2005
Closed Date Feb 01, 2006" dates - shouldn't that be gone? If so, how do I fix that?

I really do appreciate this forum, I've managed to get approved for a couple credit cards and am working on getting my utilization down. Thanks in advance for any insight y'all can offer!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Confused - Need Help :(

@Anonymous wrote:

Been lurking around the forums for about a month now - spying on all of you....LOL

I have some issues in my wreck of a credit report that I'm trying to get at least improved - I think it will be the better part of a decade before it might be good, but I'll take improving. My scores are hovering in the 580-590 range (although Experian shows 611). I defaulted and then rehabed student loans, so I know that will take forever to go away (if they ever do Smiley Frustrated) and I have some medical bills dating back to 2008 that are hurting, but those should fall off soon, right?

DoFDs in 2008 will fall off this year and into next year, the max time they can remain on file is 7.5 yrs from the DoFD, The CRAs will usually delete them at 7 years to ensure they stay within the law. Once they are off your CR and past SOL they are officially 'zombies', they can still try to collect, if you decide to settle 20% is tops for a zombie debt.

My questions are:

I have a couple of smaller more recent collections - if I were to attempt a PFD - should I contact the Collection Agency or the originial creditor (if known)? DV the CA is the first line of defense though if its past 30 days since they received the collection they dont have to respond to it. If you live in TX they have to respond at any time under TX Finance laws. If the DV sticks then a PFD can be offered. If this is medical debt you also have the option of using the HIPAA Process, you can Google it. You can contact the OC and ask them to recall the CA then settle it, some will others will not hear of it.

Secondly, I have a charged off credit card showing up on my Equifax report with "Opened Date Aug 01, 2005
Closed Date Feb 01, 2006" dates - shouldn't that be gone? If so, how do I fix that? You need to know the DoFD of the account, it can be on file for 7.5 yrs from that date though I think if it was closed in 02/06 it should be gone, just dispute it as too old to remain on file.

I really do appreciate this forum, I've managed to get approved for a couple credit cards and am working on getting my utilization down. Thanks in advance for any insight y'all can offer!

DoFDs in 2008 will fall off this year and into next year, the max time they can remain on file is 7.5 yrs from the DoFD, The CRAs will usually delete them at 7 years to ensure they stay within the law. Once they are off your CR and past SOL they are officially 'zombies', they can still try to collect, if you decide to settle 20% is tops for a zombie debt.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused - Need Help :(

I think I'm beyond the point of DV - well past 30 days. So I will attempt the PFD - thank you for all the info!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.