Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about CA opening dates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused about CA opening dates

Hi All

Maybe someone can explain to me how a CA determines the date opened on an account.  Six months ago I recieved notice that two of my accounts have gone into collections (CreditKarma).  These two accounts are old, zombie-debt from 2006.  Due to fall off 06/2013.  The original TL charge off is long gone (Cable Provider) from all three CRAs.  

Point is, these CAs lines are showing as "new" activity and seriously degrading my score.  I sent DV to both, as this debt has been with at least 3 agencies and I'm not sure they can properly document the proper amount owed. 

My question -- how does a CA show a "new" deliquency from 2012 when the debt was already 6 years old?  SOL in my state is 7 years. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Confused about CA opening dates

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All

Maybe someone can explain to me how a CA determines the date opened on an account.  Six months ago I recieved notice that two of my accounts have gone into collections (CreditKarma).  These two accounts are old, zombie-debt from 2006.  Due to fall off 06/2013.  The original TL charge off is long gone (Cable Provider) from all three CRAs.  

Point is, these CAs lines are showing as "new" activity and seriously degrading my score.  I sent DV to both, as this debt has been with at least 3 agencies and I'm not sure they can properly document the proper amount owed. 

My question -- how does a CA show a "new" deliquency from 2012 when the debt was already 6 years old?  SOL in my state is 7 years. 

The date opened that they list is just the date that they opened it for collections.  It doesn't change the DOFD of the account which sets the SOL and the CRTP for the debt.  This debt isn't quite what is considered a zombie debt.  That is one that is past the SOL and the CRTP, this one is close, but not quite.  A debt can be passed from CA to CA until it is paid.  It can pass the SOL and the CRTP and still be passed around.  Problem is, these typically pop up with bottom feeders that don't necessarily care about FDCRA.  That's why I alway suggest to pay something to make it go away.

Edited for grammar, typing and watching the NCAA championship game at the same time.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Confused about CA opening dates

Their reporting is not of a new "delinquency," it is the reporting of their collection authority.

They can report the date they received their collection authority as the open date of their collection.

The extent to which it may or may not affect your score if FICO places weight on the date opened in determining its impact is not a violation of any reporting provision on their part.    I agree that it defies logic that the reported date should impact your score, but many swear from their anecdotal experiences that it does.

What is the DOFD on the OC account?  Reliance on an anticipated exclusion date is a bit iffy, as those dates are often some period before the statutory exclusion date.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.