Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Fair Credit Reporting Act

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused about Fair Credit Reporting Act

I have a few random questions that I'm not sure whether are violations ot not of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

- Do collection agencies have to notify me in writing befoe they report to the credit bureaus for the first time?

- Whenever I didpute something, aren't they supposed to mark that entry on my credit report as being disputed? If they don't do it... is this a violation?

- If they show a different amount than origina creditor, is this allowed? If so... what's the interest that they can chatge?

- I have a coule accounts where the collection agency name theirselves as the original creditor as well? Violation?

- Can collection agency report past due amounts?

- They are reporting my accounts using my first and partial last name only? Could this be treated as an error?

- Can the report to credit agencies during validation?

- Any other normal violations?

Thanks everybody!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Confused about Fair Credit Reporting Act

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a few random questions that I'm not sure whether are violations ot not of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

- Do collection agencies have to notify me in writing befoe they report to the credit bureaus for the first time? No but if they report it they have to send you dunning within 5 days, FDCPA controlls CAs.

- Whenever I didpute something, aren't they supposed to mark that entry on my credit report as being disputed? If you dispute at the CRA level then they will mark it in dispute while the dispute is in progress this removes certain attributes from Fico scoring, disputing with the CA directly does not have to report as in dispute.  If they don't do it... is this a violation? No.

- If they show a different amount than origina creditor, is this allowed? Sure there is always interest and fees added on.  If so... what's the interest that they can chatge?Typically what the interest rate is on your contract and in some states they set the amount that can be charged in interest and fees.,

- I have a coule accounts where the collection agency name theirselves as the original creditor as well? A CA cannot report a monthly payment history like an OC can, Violation? IMO, yes and reportable in a complaint to the CFPB

- Can collection agency report past due amounts? Yes

- They are reporting my accounts using my first and partial last name only? Could this be treated as an error? no

- Can the report to credit agencies during validation? If the DV is timely then no, exception is if its already been reported to the CRAs

- Any other normal violations?

Thanks everybody!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks gdale6, you are awesome!

Check the picture attached to see how Midland Funding call theirselves ORIGINAL CREDITOR when reporting to Equifax

And I just realized my grammar was horrible!! Sorry!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for my ignorance but what's IMO?

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Dispute their reporting, thus getting them on record as having conducted a good fatih investigation and determined that their reporting as the OC is legit before ou file a complaint with the CFPB.

It is not per se a violation of the FCRA to have reported inaccurately.  It is a violation to report knowlingly inaccurate information.

Their current reporting could have been a legit mistake or a clerical error.  Give them the opportunity to corrrect via a dispute.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.