Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about dispute result

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused about dispute result

Hi everyone. Im new here but I've been lurking for a while.

So long story short, I disputed two things on my credit report. One is a closed/charged off acct from capital one, which was sold to Portfolio Recovery. Capital One was showing it as a open/revolving acct and I asked for it to be deleted completely since it had went to a collections agency. Portfolio Recovery was also showing it as a open acct but opened Nov 2014 which is completely wrong and there was no payment history. I asked for the open date to be corrected since the orginal debt happened in 2012. So as of today when the disputes came back they are saying all dates are correct.

HOWEVER...Capital One has it 30,60,90 days late in 2012 but everything up until may 2015 showing current/never late, and Portfolio Recovery now has it showing current/never late from Nov 2014 until May 2015. This actual worked in my favor because my score went up 23 points. Now Im wondering what to do from here? Should I just pay off the debt? PR also sent me a settlement offer. Or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks in aadvance for your help!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Confused about dispute result

The "Open" dates for an OC and collection account are separate animals.  Date opened for an OC account is what it says.... the date you opened your account with them.

However, the Open date for a collection is the date that the debt collector obtained collection authority.

A collection remains upen either until the debt is paid, the debt collector has their assigned collection authority terminated, or they sell the debt should they own it.

An OC almost never keeps an account open for the consumer's continued use after it reaches either a charge-off or collection referral, and sale of the debt always closes the account.  Thus, the OC account should have been updated to show closed.  However, that would be apparent to anyone reviewing your credit report, and date closed for an OC account has no effect on scoring.  You can dispute to get your report updated, but it is a minor issue.

REporting of a collection by a debt collector is separate from reporting by the OC, and is not basis for requiring any deletion by the OC.

If the OC sold the debt, they are required to report a $0 debt balance owed to them.  Thereafter, the derogs reported under their account remain until the creditor voluntarily deletes or they reach their statutory excludion periods, such as 7 years plus 180 days from DOFD for the reported charge-off.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused about dispute result

Thank You. Do you think I should pay the CA? Its 300 and something dollars.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.