Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about disputing my name

tag
tsally862
Valued Member

Confused about disputing my name

Ok, after discussing my case with one of the board members here, I feel like I have a unique case here and would like to seek further advice about the proper way to handle this. When I go into myFico Report and click on Credit-At-A-Glance, under my personal information I see my current name, former name, my DOB, last 4 digits of my SSN, and current and former addresses. The problem is, everything else is correct except for my "former name" which is totally botched and doesn't even look close to mine. Also, my current name is not displayed fully. First name isn't fully displayed as it is on my driver's license, and I also have a hyphenated last name, with the  second part of it is missing and not shown at all.

I know I can just call the CRA and dispute this by providing them with my full and correct name, but how would I exactly get any TLs off my CR just by having my name corrected? My SSN, DOB and addresses are all correct, so wouldn't that be enough for the CRAs to identify me as the same person and not delete the TL?

The process of disputing names for medical collections is kind of confusing me because I know the collections are mine, I would like the pay them off, and I just don't know exactly why I'd ask the CRAs to delete them just because of the name variations. Everything else identifies me as me. Do I confirm or deny that the collections are mine when I call the CRA? Sorry for all the questions, I just feel a little lost with how I need to approach this Smiley Sad

Thank you for reading.

Sal.

Starting Score: EQ 606 TU 575 March 12th, 2012
Current Score: EX 639 EQ 618 TU 649
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Re: Confused about disputing my name

Hey again, Sal. I just wanted to say that I don't think deleting the wrong spellings or formatting of your names will cause any deletions of TLs. And, also, the HIPAA process is still meant for you to pay the medical bills (as you are wanting to do). It's just also meant to keep your medical information out of hands it shouldn't be in...ie CAs. So if they don't have your collections anymore and no permissable purpose, they should delete their TLs from your CRs. You would be paying the OC health provider and not the CA.

I'll let others address the necessity of getting old names off....

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Message 2 of 5
annielorie
Valued Contributor

The importance is that if you google these other variations of your name see how many there are!! The fact that someone elses bills dont wind up on your report.  Get those med collections back to OC and PFD they will do it.  But CAs dont need even your ss. address will do.  Besides correcting names,  correct all addresses.  Call the CRAs for this one as I have done just this past week.  As for the old addresses say I havent lived at any of these places in years and continually getting other renters stuff on my credit report want all addresses but the one I live at deleted. Simple as that! Hope that helps

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 3 of 5
tsally862
Valued Member

Hi Lois!

Thank you for your response, you're very helpful as always Smiley Happy So I looked into TU's Online Dispute Service, and under Adverse Accounts I clicked on "Request an investigation" for one of my medical collections. Now, I feel like the only option that I can select there that would really address the issue I brought up is the box with "This record contains multiple inaccuracies, please verify accuracy of all data" description. I imagine this is what I'd go with as the first step in disputing the correct spelling of my name, right? And after all that is done, would I then start step #3, the HIPPA process?

Starting Score: EQ 606 TU 575 March 12th, 2012
Current Score: EX 639 EQ 618 TU 649
Goal Score: 720

Message 4 of 5
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

@tsally862 wrote:

Hi Lois!

Thank you for your response, you're very helpful as always Smiley Happy So I looked into TU's Online Dispute Service, and under Adverse Accounts I clicked on "Request an investigation" for one of my medical collections. Now, I feel like the only option that I can select there that would really address the issue I brought up is the box with "This record contains multiple inaccuracies, please verify accuracy of all data" description. I imagine this is what I'd go with as the first step in disputing the correct spelling of my name, right? And after all that is done, would I then start step #3, the HIPPA process?

Yes, just check that and write in the box that the address is not yours or the name is not yours or whatever. And, yes to step 3 Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.