Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about letter and dispute...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused about letter and dispute...

I sent a goodwill letter to American Express asking them to remove 3 late payments.  Yesterday I got a letter from them that said "this is to respond to your recent inquiry regarding reporting of your American Express credit history under account #XXXX.  We have notified the credit reporting agencies listed below that the account is maintained in a satisfactory manner and in accordance with our cardmember agreement."  I interpreted this as they were granting me my goodwill request of removing the late payments. Today I got a Scorewatch notification that the account was marked as disputed?!?  What is going on? Did I misinterpret the letter?  I hope to close on a house in 6 weeks and I can't have any dispute remarks on my credit report.  Any suggestions on what to do next?  Did  I interpret the letter wrong?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Confused about letter and dispute...

@Anonymous wrote:

I sent a goodwill letter to American Express asking them to remove 3 late payments.  Yesterday I got a letter from them that said "this is to respond to your recent inquiry regarding reporting of your American Express credit history under account #XXXX.  We have notified the credit reporting agencies listed below that the account is maintained in a satisfactory manner and in accordance with our cardmember agreement."  I interpreted this as they were granting me my goodwill request of removing the late payments. Today I got a Scorewatch notification that the account was marked as disputed?!?  What is going on? Did I misinterpret the letter?  I hope to close on a house in 6 weeks and I can't have any dispute remarks on my credit report.  Any suggestions on what to do next?  Did  I interpret the letter wrong?

First thing you need to do is follow the process now to have the dispute removed. If it is still on your reports and the Lender pulls your Credit Reports again (possibly they may not), the disputes would have to be removed before you will get the clear to close in most situations. Once the dispute is removed it can tank your scores, and possibly throw you out of qualifying range if your scores were borderline. YMMV

You can check the Mortgage Board and look for the sticky on forum that gives you a way to have disputes removed.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  Did I interpret the letter incorrectly?  Nowhere in the letter did it mention a dispute.

Message 3 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I can't say for sure, but I have my own opinion with these being turned into disputes.  

"We got what you sent, we put it in dispute, then we verified it."

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.