Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused how to proceed...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused how to proceed...

Hi all,

I have been monitoring my credit for about six months now, following all the advice here and actually brought my equifax fico score up from 475 to 626 last week. I was very excited as this was the cut off for me to be able to apply for a mortgage. I was waiting for my cc payment to go through before checking my official transunion score as it was 601 here (classic 98) while the mortgage company uses classic 04. In the meantime I get an old T-mobile bill through a collection company called RPM.  The bill should have been $400 but it was $1400!!! I tried to find out from RPM and T-Mobile what the extra 1000 was for, but neither could explain it.  RPM said I must pay it before January 31st so that it would not be reported to the credit bureaus (that is putting it nicely...which they weren't) So, fearful that it would ruin my hard earned credit score, I paid them on the 30th and everything is supposed to be forgotten now, not reported. Alas, they didn't keep their word. They reported it to all three bureaus anyway as UNPAID!!  When I called them, they apologized and send me a letter stating that they reported it in error, it was paid in full and the AUD number for the trade line deletion.  In the meantime, my credit score has tanked....down to 585. I tried to call the credit bureaus and they said it will take 30-90 days to fix it and have no record of them trying to delete it. They called the business line for equifax who said they have it on file but it will take 30-90 days for the system to update!!! What do I do?? Should I dispute it, or will that take too long? Should I fax the letter, or will that dispute it and again take too long?? What about Rapid Rescore? What can that do for me?? I need advice...please help!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Confused how to proceed...

The CRA is really not the party to correct this.  The CRAs just record what is reported to them.  The debt collector must report tje deletion to the CRA before they will delete. 

As far as disputing this, you must provide a reason why the CA should be deleted.  Payment of a debt is not grounds for CA deletion.  Your grounds is apparently an oral promise, and not in writing.  So it can degenerate into a "he-said, she said."

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I was not clear. The CA states that they did put in for a deletion and they have given me a letter stating that it was reported in error.  They gave me an AUD number for the trade deletion. They were all apologies and even said they would talk to banks to explain that it never should have been reported. I just don't know whether I should wait it out or send the letter to the CRAs.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Wait it out for a (short) bit.  The CRAs wont delete based only on your request.  YOu dont want the CRAs involved in this.  They will **bleep** it up.

If it is not soon deleted, I recommend that you send a direct dispute to the debt collector under FCRA 623(a)(8).  I would not even involve the CRA.

Filing of a direct dispute will require action by the debt collector within a period of approx 30-days, and written notice back to you of the accuracy of the reported information, and if they hold it to have been inaccurate, compulsory deletion from your credit file.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.