cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused over rebuilding - credit lines, cards, details inside - please help!

tag
rMayer
Established Member

Confused over rebuilding - credit lines, cards, details inside - please help!

I've followed this forum for a long time and recieved such amazing advice, so thank you. I wanted to post my current situation and see what I should try to do next. I'm nervous that one wrong move could hinder the progress I've already made. From what I've read some people open lines of credit as opposed to cards, is that right? I'm wondering what my next move should be. Should I pay down some of these collections? I've read sometimes you shouldn't. Should I try to get an OpenSky card?

My goal is to get an auto loan. 

Pulled today: 

Equifax - 513

TransUnion - 542

Experian - 550

My only 2 open accounts are student loans which are in good standing and have always been paid on time. 

I recently had Capital One close a card on me back in January because of lates I believe. I was kind of at the tail end of a financial health crisis with my husband when they did that. It had a limit of $200 which was late 30 days until I paid it completely off yesterday. So I think those scores are not reflective of that balance change, regardless, I'm sure it won't make that much of a difference. Not sure if I should call them to try and re-open it? I called once and the woman didn't seem to care, told me it was impossible. 

I have 11 collections, 2 of which I need to dispute because I believe they're my husbands medical bills and he's filing bankruptcy. 

$915 - Hospital bill (is a few years old, but showing up on my CR dated 4/10/2017)

$122 - Hospital bill (not mine, husbands, going to dispute)

$96 - Hospital bill (is a few years old, but showing up on my CR dated 1/20/2017)

$1883 - Hospital bill (is a few years old, but showing up on my CR dated 1/20/2017)

$1754 - Electric company (is a few years old, but showing up on my CR dated 4/1/2016)
$525 - Hospital bill (is a few years old, but showing up on my CR dated 02/11/2016)
$801 - Hospital bill (is a few years old, but showing up on my CR dated 02/11/2016)
$755 - Vet bill (is a few years old, but showing up on my CR dated 10/13/2015)
$310 - Gym membership I never cancelled (is a few years old, but showing up on my CR dated 04/28/2015)
$463 - Hospital bill (is a few years old, but showing up on my CR dated 02/08/2015)
$390 - Hospital bill (is a few years old, but showing up on my CR dated 12/08/2011)

Any help is so appreciated! 

3 REPLIES 3
rMayer
Established Member

Re: Confused over rebuilding - credit lines, cards, details inside - please help!

Really need help! I hope someone has some input Smiley Sad 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused over rebuilding - credit lines, cards, details inside - please help!

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you.  I just posted all my collections and got this great tip:

Go onto annualcreditreport.com and get your free credit report.  On that credit report with be your "date of first delinquincy".  That is the date that starts your 7 year clock.  If you go get those dates and update your post you will probably get more help on which to look at getting removed and which to leave alone.

Message 3 of 4
stargazer25
Regular Contributor

I've been here.... welcome. 

Where are those scores from?

DOFD is the name of the game on all your collections to see which ones are close to falling off. Next move is who is willing to PFD. Look in the forums for CA name. Work on PFD first. Then look into secured credit cards. Right now Capital One won't touch you so open sky might be your best option. You can do the SCT to get a retail card without  having your credit score pulled. 

Best case scenario is 3 credit lines and a loan (student loan). Good luck. 

Starting Scores: September 2015 minus 500 across the board
Current Scores: October 2017 EQ: 715 TU: 710 EX: 716
In My Wallet:
Cap1 QS: $4.8K - AMEX BCP: $4.2K - Old Navy Visa: $7K - Nordstrom $3.8K - VS $500 (FTW!)
BofA AU: $12K AMEX AU: $25K
Business: AMEX BCP $15K
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.