Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing Judgement in MI

tag
Target1212
Regular Contributor

Confusing Judgement in MI

So, I have a judgement from way back in 2008. I forgot to pay a whole $100, just purely forgot. Well BAM it hit my credit report last month. I paid the last little bit right away, and asked the plaintiff (an old landlord) if they'd do a motion to vacate. They sent me a satisfied judgment letter. Not what I want! I want to get a house in Augest after I've been on a waitlist for a Direct Mortgage and this will make it so I can't get it! I've been waiting for almost a year for a house and now my dreams are leaving. I called the court who said we don't put these on credit reports, but it's public record so someone else can. I just want it gone. I am sure I can get the old landlord to help, he's really nice. They just had the wrong address for me and I never knew about it. I wasn't even served. But, now what can i do? When I asked the court about a motion to vacate she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. Where can i find this motion to file? Thank you!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ghettodan

Re: Confusing Judgement in MI

What county did this happen in?  I just had a paid judgement from 2008 just hit my credit report in May.  It was satisfied in 10/08 but did not appear until 5/13.  Mine is from Macomb county.  Not sure what is going on here lately

Message 2 of 6
Target1212
Regular Contributor

I'm in Oakland, I dont see why they're hitting my CR when the courts didn't ask them to neither did the plaintiff. SO FRUSTERATING!

Message 3 of 6
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

I'm not an expert, just someone who's had judgements. I found this info for you, it gives you a pretty good idea about what is involved, but I wouldn't 'purchase' anything on this site, just read it for quick reference, and do a little more research. There are fees involved, so if you ask former landlord to file to vacate, offer to pay the costs. Or, you can file yourself, or, if you don't feel confident, and time is an issue, you should consider consulting with an attorney. If this delays your mortgage process, would be worth spending the money.

http://www.debtsettlementmichigan.net/vacating-a-default-judgment/

Mods: After I posted, I just realized, I hope this isn't a violation to post this link. My apologies if it is.

Updated: moderator team has reviewed and approved the aforementioned link.
Webhopper
Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Judgments are not reported by the courts or the creditor.  CRAs hire 3rd parties to scour public records and have them entered on CRs.

Message 5 of 6
Target1212
Regular Contributor

I did not know that CRAs had people looking for judgements. Expains that, unfortunatly. How can I get this removed? I can't find the paperwork to vacate the judgment, unless it's the motion to set aside default judgment? I was never served, but I did pay it so I think that looks rather fishy, along with the fact that I was being garnished and put in paperwork to stop that years ago. Is that the right form though? Motion to set aside default judgement?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.