cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion!

tag
shortstuf283

Confusion!

Hi Everyone, I have some questions I hope someone can help me with. I have several errors on my report obtained thru myfico.co that I need to dispute. However when I try to initiate the online dispute it takes me to a new website due to the area in which I live in. That's fine, but my problem is when I go to dispute I need account numbers and myfico does not list them on my report. I called myfico and they said I neded to contact equifax. So I call equifax and I have to pay for ANOTHR report in order to get the accounts numbers.  Has anyone ran into this? What do I do?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Confusion!

This is normal. Third-party reports like from myFICO, freecreditreport.com, and elsewhere don't provide full account info. You'd want to pull your reports directly from each CRA. You can get all 3 for free once a year via annualcreditreport.com.

Message 2 of 8
shortstuf283

Thank you so much!

Message 3 of 8
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@shortstuf283 wrote:

Hi Everyone, I have some questions I hope someone can help me with. I have several errors on my report obtained thru myfico.co that I need to dispute. However when I try to initiate the online dispute it takes me to a new website due to the area in which I live in. That's fine, but my problem is when I go to dispute I need account numbers and myfico does not list them on my report. I called myfico and they said I neded to contact equifax. So I call equifax and I have to pay for ANOTHR report in order to get the accounts numbers.  Has anyone ran into this? What do I do?

Account numbers are usually not present through any 3rd party sites. To obtain account numbers you would have to purchase your CR through the CRA itself or if you have not used your free yearly that you are entitled to, you can obtain it through annualcreditreport.com

Edited for slow typing while on phone! lol +1 to what was said above

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The answer,at least to me, is  very simple.

Dont dispute through a CRA!!!

Dispute directly with the party (OC or debt collector) who posted the disputed information to the your CR.  

Paper dispute addressed direcdtly the credtor/debt collector.

Suggested format for direct dispute:

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

►       (If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might  be beneficial to also include the blurb:

►  “This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt
              validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b).”.
                  (don’t let them just simply sluff it off as a meaningless  DV letter)

“In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:
           (specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under

that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or

regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not

yours? etc.)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; make sure to include,

as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your

recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information was

actually reported to your credit flle.  The implementing rule requires showing

that it appeared in your credit report)

“Under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(E) and 16 CFR §660.4,, you have the duty to review all of the information I have provided to you,  to complete your investigation of this Direct Dispute within 30-days of my Notice of Direct Dispute,  and report back to me the results of your investigation within 5-days of your completion of your investigation.” 

“Should you find the disputed information to be inaccurate or incomplete, or you cannot verify the accuracy or completeness of the disputed information, you are additionally required, under FCRA §623(b)(1)(E), to promptly notify the credit reporting agencies of correction of this information, or of its deletion from my credit file.”

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently disputed an account through the cra before I knew of a direct dispute. The account was verified but when I contacted the oc, they nor the collections department they transferred me to, had any record of my name or ssn or an account. I was wandering if I would be able to send a direct dispute after a dispute with the cra has investigated and its been verified?

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You may skate ttrough.,,,,, but maybe not

If they are knowledgable of the direct dispute process, they can assert reference to 16 CFR 66o(f)(ii)This woild permit them to summarily hold a direct dispute ae being duplicative of a prior dispute made through the CRA,, and thus dismissable under 16 CFR 660.4 (f) (ii)

Message 7 of 8
bicknar
Regular Contributor

om wRe: Confusion!

From my experience, By filing a dispute with the CRA online, most have conduits to obtain a credit report in conjunction with the dispute no charge, and this includes the necessary numbers.

Hope this helps,

A

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.