Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conn's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Conn's

I've searched the site & haven't seen much with anyone dealing with Conns. Looking for some help in what direction I should take.

In Sept 2013, I went to Conn's to purchase a washer/dryer set and a fridge. I went there because we had just moved across the country and couldn't afford paying out right for them & our CC at the time were close to being maxed out. Conn's offered revoloving credit account in store,  and it was  a reasonable  monthly amount. Fast forward 6 month, I paid both things off in full. Nov 2015, I  moved across country again & I sold both of the  items & shreddered my info from them. BIG MISTAKE!! I wanted to purchase a home and pulled my free credit report, guess what, I have 2 CHARGE OFF Accounts from them. I called immediatly when I saw them on my report & of course they don't show where it was paid off. I was basically told, so sorry, you should have paid your accounts! What should I do? I don't have  any paper work anylonger. Obviously I don't want to pay them any more money, the combined amount is only around 2K, but it's the fact that  I did!!

I've been reading these boards, looks like I should send a debt verication letter? Right? Then last resort pay for delete? Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Conn's

Should have bank statements for your payments if you paid that way. you can write to the credit bureaus if you feel it's a error so they can investigate and have your ducks in a row.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you pay them? Was it by check, debit, or credit card? If it were done by debit or check, your bank should have records of those transactions; if it were done with a credit card, same thing, there should be a transaction history. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course we paid them off with cash. My wife was actually the one that went in to do it, she went to the bank to get cash & took it to them in store. The first thing I did was  check our account, to the penny I was able to find the transaction and that's all she took out that day. Our fault, we kept the paper work until we sold them, lesson learned! The super annoying thing, I NEVER reveiced any calls, letter, notice that I was supposedly late. From the research on how to correct this problem, I found  many people in the same boat as me....Conn's apparently is really shady. They had so many stores & were always busy, we thought they seemed ok...again, lesson learned!

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You paid on a revolving account, so you have the right to file a formal dispute under the Fair Credit Billing Act provided your disptue is timely.

Disputes under the FCRA are an after-the-fact dispute only of their credit reporting, and few requiements for any factual showings by the creditor.

However, disputes under the FCBA have significant factual requirements not included under the FCRA dispute process, and would be the best way to dispute.

Go to the FTC web page for a concise explanation of disputing under the FCBA.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I wasn't aware of that! Looking into it now.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.