Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidation Loan/Collections Problem

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consolidation Loan/Collections Problem

I took out a consolidation loan several years ago.  When I got it the company paid off three other accounts (from three different banks/creditors).  Despite the fact that they showed cancelled checks for all three other creditors, only one of them claimed to have been paid.  After months of re-requesting the records be sent to the other creditors and still not getting anywhere, I quit making any effort to fix this situation (which was bad, I know).  These two accounts continued to accrue late payments, etc... and were eventually sent to collections.  One is currently in court.  Due to my extreme frustration with the consolidation company, I chose to stop paying them (again, a poor choice).  This account has gone into collection and now as well.  I contacted them about the situation and they weren't terribly helpful, citing that the account had been sent off to collections.  Furthermore, they say that the records for the original loan are in the records department and are not easily accessed.

My question is how do I get copies of the cancelled checks to confirm that those old accounts were indeed originally paid by the consolidation company/get those two situations in collection resolved? And since it was not an error on my part, can I get those collection statements removed from my credit report once they are resolved?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Consolidation Loan/Collections Problem

@Anonymous wrote:

I took out a consolidation loan several years ago.  When I got it the company paid off three other accounts (from three different banks/creditors).  Despite the fact that they showed cancelled checks for all three other creditors, only one of them claimed to have been paid.  After months of re-requesting the records be sent to the other creditors and still not getting anywhere, I quit making any effort to fix this situation (which was bad, I know).  These two accounts continued to accrue late payments, etc... and were eventually sent to collections.  One is currently in court.  Due to my extreme frustration with the consolidation company, I chose to stop paying them (again, a poor choice).  This account has gone into collection and now as well.  I contacted them about the situation and they weren't terribly helpful, citing that the account had been sent off to collections.  Furthermore, they say that the records for the original loan are in the records department and are not easily accessed.

My question is how do I get copies of the cancelled checks to confirm that those old accounts were indeed originally paid by the consolidation company/get those two situations in collection resolved? And since it was not an error on my part, can I get those collection statements removed from my credit report once they are resolved?

If the consolidation company paid, then ask for the info and cancelled checks, all the while researching your info. "Records department"? My question to them would be, "where else are records kept?" If they keep stone-walling, then hire an attorney and have them send a letter.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.