cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Finance Account Help

tag
Felix9

Consumer Finance Account Help

I'm going to be going for a mortgage soon and apparently my 0% Tractor Loan (Sheffield Financial) is deemed a negative on my Credit Report, dupped a "Consumer Finance Account".  I called them and they said they will not delete it off even if I pay it, so my question is if I pay it to 0 and they marked it as Closed will that help my Credit Score?  I am not interesting in pay $2,500 for a 0% installment loan of $77 a month unless I have to, thus the question.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Consumer Finance Account Help

Back in the pre-internet day when consumers did not have easy access to major banks, they often had no choice other than to obtain local credit from smaller lendoes, many of which offered much higher rates and less favorable terms than major banks. 

With the more recent access to major banks and ability to shop for best terms, if a consumer relied upon a so-called consumer finance company for credit, it is viewed as a negative indication that they could not obtain more favorable credit. Thus, the stigma attached to consumer finance loans.

In your situation, you refer to a $0 APR loan which indicates you took advantage of local credit, not because you could not obtain better financing, but because you took advantage of some promotional offer to entice you to use their financing.

I highly doubt that any mortgage lendor will look askance at the consumer finance loan under the conditions that you apparently used their financing.

It was out of financial benefit to you, not desperation for credit.

Message 2 of 5
Felix9

Yeah you'd think that. lol  Sadly the Mortgage FICO flags this as negative (very old FICO, like 04'), so in this case it hurts me.  My question is will paying it off help, I'd rather not pay it if it's not going to do anything.  Paying 0% is silly when that money can say be invested.  I love how FICO penalizes you for being fiscally responsible.  Huzzah!

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Paying would not offset any negative connotations of having used the consumer finance company.

Logic in seeing that it was a 0% loan should take care of that.  If they cant see the difference in why you used a consumer finance company, then maybe you should deal with another lendor.....

Message 4 of 5
Felix9

I get the impression that they look at the FICO score and that's what they are beholden to, regardless of almost anything else.  If it's not 740 then I get a lower rate, end of story.  FICO says it's bad, so it's bad.  Every lender I talked to said it doesn't matter how much I make (as long as it's enough to pay the mortgage within a certain %), how long I've been at my job, how long I've paid my mortgage, FICO rules all! lol  I have yet to have it run because I'm trying to clean it up as best I can, but it's proving quite difficult and confusion. :-/

If you happen to know of lenders who ignore that kinda stuff and thereby up your FICO score that'd be ideal, but since they all seem to use FICO 4 (or whatever) and not FICO 8 (let alone 9) I think I'm kinda screwed. :-/

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.