Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau...it works

tag
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau...it works

For the last few years, I've been disputing an item in the public records section of my Experian credit file. Experian would claim they "investigated and validated the item as accurate". I knew the information they were reporting was false. This was a state tax lien from 1996 that has been paid in full since 1997 yet still showed up in my credit file as a "tax lien" in the amount of $566. The tax lien was "terminated" in 1997 so I contacted the state revenue office and they emailed me a copy of the termination order. Not one to rest on getting this deleted from my credit file, I reached out to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (one of the contributors in the community suggested I use this resource to dispute) and initiated a dispute and uploaded 2 supporting documents to back up my claim...the copy of the lien release/termination and a snapshot of my Experian credit file that showed the tax lien still in place. I disputed this item on October 15, 2014. I just received a response back from CFPB that the item has been deleted from my Experian file. Shortly after I receive the email from CFPB, Experian emailed me an updated credit report showing the item has been deleted from my file. It only took 7 calendar days! I'd like to thank the contributor in the myFICO community who made the suggestion because it worked.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.