Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer portfolio Services - cps repo

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consumer portfolio Services - cps repo

So, I have a repo from this devil founded company. Original loan June 2008, repoed sometime in 2010 in the state of MS, a friend was paying for and driving the car. Cps never followed the rules even for the repo process. I live in Florida for the past 10 years.

To make it short, they were sued by the ftc for all their illegal practices on accounts ranging from 2008 to 2013. The court judgement is posted on their website along with a message mandated by the court that explains what CPS must do for the consumer affected by the rulings.

One of the orders is that they have 90 days from the date of order which was somewhere in 2014 to fix wrong information on credit files, report accurate information or cease reporting at all. Well, I just looked at my reports and last reporting date dates back to June 2014, and all of it is wrong. Last payment date April 2014?? This thing was repoed on 2010!

I read another post here where a member got cps to call them back and they deleted the entire account instead of just fixing the late payment reporting.

Should I go straight to the CRA'S and send my dispute along with the judgement against cps and request deletion of the file completely? In top of that, they didn't collect or repo the car following all required procedures by law, and they violated a few during the process. They called my work telling my boss that he had a bad employee and he should give me a raise so I could pay my bills. They'd call family members and disclose full debt information and threaten with going after them if I didn't pay. They'd call my neighbors with the same threat. They'd call me and act as a court officer, police officer, etc... That's why they got sued for 5.5 millions and have to pay consumers back, which I've yet not heard from them at all.

What should I do? Also, I hope this helps anyone in trouble with cps.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Consumer portfolio Services - cps repo

I would not go to the CRA and dispute, you have so many violations of law here but unfortunately its too late to sue them there are time limits that apply to these things. You need to verify you are actually included in the settlement and if so you send them (the creditor) an ITS (Intent to sue) letter demanding its immediate correction/deletion. If this doesnt get anything done then I would move on to filing a complaint with the CFPB and the states AG. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't want to sue. Just want the thing gone. It's due to drop in 2017 and it's dragging me down. There's been no activity since last year and I noticed under removed collections that Jefferson capital had it and dropped it. I'm sure I'm included since the lawsuit clearly states ALL customers between that time frame.

I'm afraid to stir something up as far as the collecting again since it's been dormant for so long.
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Since they are a creditor and not a debt collector, you dont have issues of violation of the FDCPA regarding their calls to others.

Does your state have statutes or regs governing the collection practices of creditors as opposed to debt collectors?

Who was the plaintiff in the civil action ordering certain actions on accounts of others?

Such orders usually arise in actions brought by regulatory agencies, such as the FTC.

If so, then you might contact that agency if you feel that the creditor is not in compliance with terms of their civil action.

You can certinly file either a direct dispute or dispute via a CRA.  However, the creditor is likely to simply state that they verify the accuracy of what has been reported.

In view of both the specifics of your case and the presence of an external court order that may be relevant to your case, it might be best to proceed with your own civil action, thus getting the matter before a judge rather than proceeding under an administrative dispute process that has clear limitations in dealing with compellling production of information.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Plaintiff, v. CONSUMER PORTFOLIO SERVICES, INC. Defendant.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link to the actual judgement case documents, but it's right on the website for cps.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.