cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacted a collection agency, any tips for my next move?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Contacted a collection agency, any tips for my next move?

I am trying to get a collection a couple collections removed from my credit report. Both are <$250 with one being under $50. I tried to contact one of the collection agencies and see  if they can delete the collection from my history if I paid in full. The CSR I spoke too seemed he was more concerned in trying to get me to settle rather than me paying in full and having the collection deleted from my history. He told me if I paid today they will knock 40% off my balance if I take care of this today. He also asked what was my job info and income in which I gave him that info. He didn't actually answer my question about deleting my collection off my report but said I will get a receipt in the mail saying the balance was paid and I will then contact someone else to have the collection deleted. What should be my next   approach when I contact the CO today? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Contacted a collection agency, any tips for my next move?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am trying to get a collection a couple collections removed from my credit report. Both are <$250 with one being under $50. I tried to contact one of the collection agencies and see  if they can delete the collection from my history if I paid in full. The CSR I spoke too seemed he was more concerned in trying to get me to settle rather than me paying in full and having the collection deleted from my history. He told me if I paid today they will knock 40% off my balance if I take care of this today. He also asked what was my job info and income in which I gave him that info. He didn't actually answer my question about deleting my collection off my report but said I will get a receipt in the mail saying the balance was paid and I will then contact someone else to have the collection deleted. What should be my next   approach when I contact the CO today? 

Hi Cass & welcome to the forums!!!  You've come to the right place for all your credit questions!

First, I want to tell you...don't call them again.  It is always best to do any negotiating via US Mail or by emailing one of the top executives.  We can help you with this. 

Who are the CA's?  (collection agencies)

To help you out with the many abbreviations/acronyms you will encounter here...go to the abbreviations link in my sig block & keep that page handy until you don't need it any more.

Drop back in & let us know who is collecting....

Mo

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. The collection agency I am dealing with is erspay on behalf of Bank of America. I racked up some fees with BoA and did not not take them serious and they ended up being sent to collections. This collection and another combined with maxing out my credit line took from a stout 695 down to a 627. Had I knew where my credit stood several months ago (or found this site),I could have been real close to having a 720. I am extremely greatful and lucky that I found this site when I did. I learned more in the last 24 hrs about credit than in the past few years of going on "word of mouth" from other people.
Message 3 of 4
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Hi Cass....sorry it took so long to get back to you!!  I sent you a PM asking for a little more information.  If you don't know how to see those yet, check on any of these pages in the upper right hand corner.  You'll see the little envelope.  When it's yellow, you have a new message!  Smiley Happy

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.