Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacted by a collector of a previously deleted collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Contacted by a collector of a previously deleted collection

Hello,

I am in the process of applying for a mortgage and about 1 yr ago worked with a credit repair agency. They got a collection removed, the orginal account which is capital one shows charged off with a balance of $0. My score did not improve with this deletion as the orginal date on the collection was from 2012. I actually forgot all about this since I went several months not seeing anything but got a call from an attorney debt collector that they now had the debt. Since I am in the process of applying for the mortgage I just paid it. They stated that they will not report to the agency and that they will inform the collection agency..The Bureu that it has been paid at which time they should remove anything from my report. I know that this is not for sure though. My question is being as though the collection is so old and even removing it had no impact on my score if it re-appeared as paid and closed would it severlely impact the score?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
crrredit
Established Contributor

Re: Contacted by a collector of a previously deleted collection

In the world of credit reporting, three years is not really that old. Inside most state's SOL, and not even half-way through the time it can remain on your reports. If your report is completely clean, and a collection appears, paid or unpaid, you would probably see a really big drop in score. If you have another collection or charge off already, you have already taken a score hit and this next one will drop your score some but probably not drastically. You see the biggest drops/gains with the first major derog to appear, and the last one to drop off. Beyond FICO scoring, the mortgage company will probably insist that anything like a collection be paid before they'll close, so at least you've made that step.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Contacted by a collector of a previously deleted collection

Sounds good. I do have 2 other paid collections and 3 charge offs, 2 of which are outstanding and will be paid soon. I suppose that is why I didn't see the increase when it was deleted in the first place.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.