Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacting Collection Agencies while living overseas

tag
Busaner
Established Member

Contacting Collection Agencies while living overseas

First off, this is my first post here. I came across this site a few days ago and have been trolling it nonstop since. There has been a lot of helpful information shared here. So thank you to all of you who have contributed.

I am currently living in South Korea and I am unsure what the best way to make contact with my creditors. The only stateside address I use is my grandmothers. I just have my student loan statements sent there. I've made the mistake of contacting most creditors by phone and shared with them updated information of where I was and what my addresses were in SK and in the US. I also made payments with several of them without requesting a PFD. They're mistakes, but lesson learned and I will make every attempt to get goodwill removals. 

My focus now is to do what has been reccomended repeatedly on this forum and others, communicate strictly by mail from here on out. I'm confused on how I should go about this while being in SK. How would I ensure any mail I send from here is certified? Are FedEx and DHL my only options? Further, what address do I request they respond to me at? Would a collection agency even bother sending a response to an overseas address? If I gave the collection agency a stateside adress I would need a family member to help me by monitoring the mail closely and then scan/email me anything that came in. Unfortunately, my family back home has struggled to help me with mailing situations in the past. I just can't trust them with something this important. I do have a cousin that lives in another state that I would trust with the logistics, but I shamefully don't want to reveal to her my negative financial issues.

Logistically, this all sounds like it will be a complete nightmare!

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Contacting Collection Agencies while living overseas

Message 2 of 3
Busaner
Established Member

Re: Contacting Collection Agencies while living overseas

No.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.