cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contemplating about AU Removal.. Good or Bad idea??

tag
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

Contemplating about AU Removal.. Good or Bad idea??

Im an AU on hubby's Citicard account. CL was recently decreased to $2,400 which now leaves the account @ $2,200 balance.

Since I am in my credit rebuilding phase, how bad is this hurting my score?

I plan on removing myself as an AU if need be.

Can someone tell me if this is a good idea to remove or should I just let it stay in my CR since the account is 9 years old with good standing, no lates, etc.. Just the high limit right now that CITI decreased CL.

Officially a Homeowner 6/1/12

Jun' 2012 EX 737 (thru lender) ; Mar '12 EQ 746; July '12 TU 773

Chase Freedom - 6.5k; Amex Zync - NPSL; Ashley's GEMB - 5.5k; Barclay's Rewards MC - 1.5k, JCP - 1k; Macys - 2k; Chase Slate - 7k (AU on DH card); US Bank Cash+ - 9.5k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Contemplating about AU Removal.. Good or Bad idea??

A few questions before I answer yours.

What are your current FICO scores?

Do you have any CCs in your name only, or any joint CC accounts?  What are the CLs and the amounts owed on these?

How long is your credit history without this AU account? Meaning your oldest CC account AND you oldest non-CC account, if any?

Message 2 of 9
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

@fused wrote:

A few questions before I answer yours.

What are your current FICO scores?

Do you have any CCs in your name only, or any joint CC accounts?  What are the CLs and the amounts owed on these?

How long is your credit history without this AU account? Meaning your oldest CC account AND you oldest non-CC account, if any?

My current FICO scores are:

EX - 686 through car dealer last month; EQ 647; TU 635

My other CC accounts are:

Macy's - $2,000 CL ; 0 balance, 9 years old, no lates

JCPenney - $300 CL; 0 balance; 7 years old, no lates (maybe I should app for CLI? I never app'd since I got the card)

Citicard #2 (AU) - $500 CL; 0 balance, 9 years old, no lates - - This used to be $5,800 CL, 0 balance until CITI decreased to $500 together with the other CITIcard for no reason

Non CC accounts:

American Honda Finance - paid off auto loan, no lates - 8 years old

Toyota Finance - current car loan, no lates - 1+ year old

However, I have 5 baddies. Most are scheduled to drop off in 2010 and some in early 2011.

Chase Freedom - 6.5k; Amex Zync - NPSL; Ashley's GEMB - 5.5k; Barclay's Rewards MC - 1.5k, JCP - 1k; Macys - 2k; Chase Slate - 7k (AU on DH card); US Bank Cash+ - 9.5k
Message 3 of 9
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

Bump................

Message 4 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

One last question, when was the CITI account you're an AU on originally opened by your husband?
Message 5 of 9
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

Fused..

Both CITI accounts were opened in 2000. Its 9 year old account.

Message 6 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

If the AU account cannot get paid down to less than 9% of the CL, the account will probaly continue to hurt you big time.
Message 7 of 9
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

So its better for me to remove myself as an AU right now since DH is not sure how long it will take to lower his balance to 9%.

Thanks for your response! Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Yes! Your husband will have to contact CITI to remove you.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.