Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convergent Outsourcing - Paypay Inc, Collection

tag
JWatson0405
Contributor

Convergent Outsourcing - Paypay Inc, Collection

Hey all, 

Not really sure what to do or how to approach this new problem that has just surfaced.  I recently received a letter from Convergent Outsourcing (CA) in regards to an outstanding balance with Paypal, Inc.  They say I have an old debt with them, and the letter is basically offering a settlement, unless I want account reinstatement for which I would need to pay full balance.  The letter also states that if I dispute or want verification of the account, I need to contact them within 30 days, otherwise they can consider the debt valid.  

Now, I don't recall this account, or delinquent balance with Paypal.  I haven't used Paypal very much since about 2004, when I used it quite a bit through Ebay.  I have used it since though, without issue.  First step it would seem would be to verify the account.  I have drafted a letter, I'll include it at the bottom, asking the CA to verify the debt.  In addition, I'm rather certain that if the balance does exist, it can not be within the SOL.  If I owe this debt, then I intend to pay it, but I wouldn't want to pay it and then have it resurface to my CR due to new action on the account.  My understanding of debt SOL is that once the 6 year limit is reached, the CA should not be contacting me, is that accurate?  And if so, if this is my debt, am I better off paying it, or letting it go and citing SOL?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

**LETTER**

Convergent Outsourcing, Inc.
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
ATTN: xxxxxxxxxx

6DEC2011

Dear xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx,

I am contacting your office in dispute of a debt collection letter sent to my above address.  I cannot recall any negative accounts with PayPal, Inc. and certainly not any within the Minnesota legal Statutes of Limitations for debt, which is 6 years.  Please send verification of this debt along with a Date of First Default or Date of Last Action showing within the last 6 years before I will offer any settlement.

Here is the account information you sent along with the letter.

Date: 11/29/2011
Creditor: Paypal Inc.
Client Account #: xxxxxxxxxxx
Convergent Account #: xxxxxxxxxx
Balance: $xxx

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx

Starting Score: EQ-484(10/10/2011) TU-533(10/10/2011)
Current Score: EQ-701(1/18/2013) TU-735(1/20/2013)
Goal Score: 750s!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Convergent Outsourcing - Paypay Inc, Collection

I would send a simple DV. Don't ever do the CA's job by providing the balance, OC, etc.

Date

Mr. CA

666 Lucifer Pl

Hades, Wherever 11111

To Whom This May Concern:

I received a collection letter on xx/xx/xxxx, and it says that you claim I owe you a debt. Under § 809 of FDCPA, send me validation of this debt.

Sincerely,

You

Be sure to include any extra info that might be required of them by your state's laws. Not many require more, but some do.

SOL has nothing to do with collecting or reporting. I'd leave that out. Even if a debt is past CRTP or SOL, they can collect forever. And they don't have to provide the DOFD, DOLA, etc.

Message 2 of 27
JWatson0405
Contributor

@llecs wrote:

I would send a simple DV. Don't ever do the CA's job by providing the balance, OC, etc.

Date

Mr. CA

666 Lucifer Pl

Hades, Wherever 11111

To Whom This May Concern:

I received a collection letter on xx/xx/xxxx, and it says that you claim I owe you a debt. Under § 809 of FDCPA, send me validation of this debt.

Sincerely,

You

Be sure to include any extra info that might be required of them by your state's laws. Not many require more, but some do.

SOL has nothing to do with collecting or reporting. I'd leave that out. Even if a debt is past CRTP or SOL, they can collect forever. And they don't have to provide the DOFD, DOLA, etc.

Thanks for the advice, I'll change up the letter a bit then.  I'm not sure that my state requires any additional info, so I'll start it off with what you suggested.  

SOL has nothing to do with collecting or reporting?  So its just regarding the amount of time after a debt that they can sue me?  My best course of action will be to send this letter and then if they verify, to pay it, correct?  Paying it won't restart the amount of time they have to report it on my report(?), as far as I understand.

Message 3 of 27
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Within MN - i dont believe there is any additional information you need to provide - 

As far as the SOL - it is the time in which they can sue you.

With the pay - what you should do and ONLY DO, is a PFD (Pay-For-Delete) which (be prepared to pay the full amount) if they agree to, once you pay with certified funds (IE cashiers check, money order, etc.) they should delete. 

ONLY AGREE TO ANYTHING VIA EMAIL OR SNAIL MAIL!!!!

What part of MN are you? I am in Coon Rapids Smiley Happy 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 4 of 27
JWatson0405
Contributor

@Anonymous_V wrote:

Within MN - i dont believe there is any additional information you need to provide - 

As far as the SOL - it is the time in which they can sue you.

With the pay - what you should do and ONLY DO, is a PFD (Pay-For-Delete) which (be prepared to pay the full amount) if they agree to, once you pay with certified funds (IE cashiers check, money order, etc.) they should delete. 

ONLY AGREE TO ANYTHING VIA EMAIL OR SNAIL MAIL!!!!

What part of MN are you? I am in Coon Rapids Smiley Happy 

So they could still report this to my CR if I pay it, or if I didn't?  Even if the debt was from several years ago?  (More than 7.5)

Message 5 of 27
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@JWatson0405 wrote:

So they could still report this to my CR if I pay it, or if I didn't?  Even if the debt was from several years ago?  (More than 7.5)

A collection can legally report for no longer than 7.5 years from the DoFD on the OC account that led to the collection. It doesn't matter whether it's paid or not.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 27
JWatson0405
Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@JWatson0405 wrote:

A collection can legally report for no longer than 7.5 years from the DoFD on the OC account that led to the collection. It doesn't matter whether it's paid or not.

Perfect, thats what I wanted to clarify.  This tells me I can pay this without fear of it reporting on my CR for that.

Message 7 of 27
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

well, i didnt realize it was so long ago lol... 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 8 of 27
JWatson0405
Contributor

@Anonymous_V wrote:

well, i didnt realize it was so long ago lol... 

Yea, this notice came out of the blue.  I can't remember the debt, which is why I need the verification.  If it is valid, it would have to be from around 2004.

Message 9 of 27
JWatson0405
Contributor

So as an update.  Convergent contacted my cell phone, when I answered they asked me to hold and then connected me to a CSR.  When I asked when the default was from, it took them a while and then they came back with the account was opened in Sept. 2004.  When I asked for further information regarding the debt, as far as what exactly was my proposed date of default, etc, they couldn't answer that information, only said they received the account in 2009.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's not from 2009, and while I don't recall any debt with Paypal, I do recall using it in 2004.  As I pressed the matter, the CSR said she would place the item in dispute and got an attitude.  When I pressed this further, asking what that was, and asking more about the debt she got angry and then hung up the phone.  I'm assuming this is because they can't verify the debt or something, as I was calm and wasn't angry with the CSR so there was no reason for her to get angry and then hang up on me.  I wonder what she means exactly by placing this item in dispute; it's not on my credit report and it would be past the SOL.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.