Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convergent Outsourcing - Paypay Inc, Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Convergent Outsourcing - Paypay Inc, Collection

I received a collection letter from this company as well today in reference to an account with Sprint. I remember using a Sprint card back in 1997 after high school one time. I'm uncertain why they'd be trying to collect some 15 years later. Not to mention, I don't remember owing them ANY money whatsover. I wonder if this is some bottom feeding company just trying to scam people.

Message 11 of 27
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a collection letter from this company as well today in reference to an account with Sprint. I remember using a Sprint card back in 1997 after high school one time. I'm uncertain why they'd be trying to collect some 15 years later. Not to mention, I don't remember owing them ANY money whatsover. I wonder if this is some bottom feeding company just trying to scam people.

Welcome to the forums!

I'd check to make sure they aren't reporting on any report. Even after the 7 to 7.5 year credit reporting time period (CRTP) and after your state's statute of limitations to sue for the debt has passed, they can still collect forever via calls, letters, etc. I have one from about the same time that still collects for an old CC. I just trash their letters and ignore them. There are letters you can send, but it'll either silence them or cause them to bug you more.

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. It's just so weird that they pick these debts from such a long time and start trying to collect. I will check my credit monitoring to make sure they're not reporting.

Message 13 of 27
sweetschuni
New Contributor

Funny, i've just gotten a call to my cell phone number from this odd company just now. immediately asked for my date of birth or address and i wouldn't provide either so they wouldn't give me any information. i have now paid all of my debts except a few medical bills and now have to face these blankety blank blanks. This has to be something from many many years ago or not mine and i'm so very annoyed. I've just joined the 700 club on TransUnion last month! Yay!!!

Licensed REALTOR in the state of Georgia - "Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing" Theodore Roosevelt

Message 14 of 27
photo156

I got a letter out of the BLUE from Convergent - saying I owe over $4,000.00 dollars -  nothing in the letter says WHO I owe - My credit is 788 - I have never been late or owe NO one - What this company does is buy old debts for ten cents on the dollar OLD debts and trys to collect on them - They also will send the same letters to ALL who have the same NAME YES to ALL via US Mail to see who will fall for the owe debt - they do not care WHO pays any bill or debt - I sent a letter to prove to me it's mine - show last time bill was paid - what checking account was used - last payment on said bill - when did this account go to collections? any way I won and it's a game they play to get MONEY........... Just make who ever writes you or calls you prove its your bill - Do not give out information over the phone - Name - Address - phone numbers - soc number nothing - always get what they wont via US Mail - do not fall for someones bill that is not your bill! Do as I do when they call I ask who they are and address and there phone number - most wont give you the full information over the phone - also keep in mine the recored the calls so do not get nasty as it's on tape and make then shut off the tape or just hang up - they lie and give wrong information - do not fall for what they say to you - stand your ground ......................................

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also received a letter from Convergent indicating I owed a debt.  They listed the original creditor as GE Capital.  I have a GE Capital account however it is current and has never been past due.  I have no recollection of any other GE Capital accounts.  I have been diligently cleaning up my credit and paying off debts.  My score is in the mid 600's so this letter was a little disheartening because it felt like all of my hard work was about to go to waste.  Thank God for this forum as well as others.  I will be sending a letter tomorrow certified requesting they validate this debt.  I pray all goes smoothly.  I'm sure I don't owe it and if it is a legitimate debt I'm sure it's outside of the SOL!

Message 16 of 27
cakkd
Contributor

It seems like they are just fishing, and they know it.

Paypal is notorious for screwing people over. In fact, there is a site dedicated to people who have been screwed as such called appropriately, Paypal Sucks.

When I bought my house four years ago, my FICO score was 804. About a year later, the interest rate on my one credit card went from about 6% to 29.99%. I called pissed and cancelled the card. (Stupid, I know, because I haven't come close to that CL since.) I pulled my report and found that Paypal had a collection out on me. Apparently, I had bought some concert tickets in the amount of $26, and only had a balance of $10. Rather than take the $10, and charge my account-linked bank account or credit card like it says in their TOS, Paypal extended me credit I didn't ask for. When I called Paypal, the CSR said, "You should keep your creditors up to date on your contact information." And, of course, I hadn't considered them a creditor. They gave me the contact info of the collection agency (not sure if it was the same one), and dumb me paid the $105 and got a "paid collection after charge off" on my CR. My credit score had sunk like a stone.

Over the course of the past few years, I sent them an angry letter and disputed the charge a few times, all to no avail. I just sent them a goodwill letter, but it's unlikely to yield much. I still have three years until it falls off my report.

Starting scores (June 9,2012): 591(TU), 582(EXP), 591(EQUI)
Current score: 721 (Discover Fico)
Goal scores: 761 across the board
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I'll throw my hat in the ring.  I just received a letter from Convergent and about 10 accompanying phone calls to my cell phone, in reference to an alleged debt from  Verizon Wireless in 2003. What's even more insane is that when I called to get information, the phone line went dead (several times).  When I finally got someone, the CSR said that I "prove my identity" before releasing information (which I did not, subsequently resulting in her hanging up on me--SERIOUSLY!). After about 10 call backs, I finally got a rep who would speak to me. She informed me that I have a debt from 2003 from Verizon Wireless.  

First, I asked for proof that I owed this debt. She then referred me to the PO box number on the letter--very professional...

Next, I informed her that the SOL in PA was 7 years, and that IF this debt is owed, why are they now collecting?--rambling banter about "outsourcing, and blah....

Finally, asked her to provide the address that the original debt was ALLEGEDLY sent to; and why I'd not heard squat from Verizon in 9 years--she became very defensive and said, "I"m trying to give you information..."--but clearly you are not.

I heard about these "zombie-debts" that come back years after the SOL has expired.  These creditors have charged off these accounts; and the bottom-feeders are just trying to collect. 

I"m sending a S&D, and information to prove that I owe this debt.  I actually like the language provided earlier in the thread.

My husband and I are trying to buy a home, and have NO TIME for this nonsense.

The true irony:  in 2003 I was in grad school, and I had Sprint... 

FICO: 7/12--- Ex- 654; Tr: 714; Eq: 668

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's interesting, it almost seems like these things pop up when you are trying to buy a house.  After you've worked to get your credit straight these things pop up as if they expect you to just pay it and keep it moving because as you stated, when you are trying to buy a house you have no time to deal with this stuff and in most cases just want it to go away.  But I personally am not going to pay a debt if they cannot prove that I owe it just for it to go away.  Plus none of this stuff is currently reporting on my credit report, I think because they can't report it on my credit report either because it's not mine or it's outside of the SOL.

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Convergent Outsourcing - Zombie Debts???

You are correct!  It seems that the moment we finally found the house we want, now these [insert profane derogatory term here] show up!  What's even more insane, is that they seem to not have a very good business structure--called 10 times and the phone line goes dead/CSR hang up the phone when I refused to release information/Attitude from the CRS....

@Anonymous wrote:

It's interesting, it almost seems like these things pop up when you are trying to buy a house.  After you've worked to get your credit straight these things pop up as if they expect you to just pay it and keep it moving because as you stated, when you are trying to buy a house you have no time to deal with this stuff and in most cases just want it to go away.  But I personally am not going to pay a debt if they cannot prove that I owe it just for it to go away.  Plus none of this stuff is currently reporting on my credit report, I think because they can't report it on my credit report either because it's not mine or it's outside of the SOL.

Seriously, who are these clowns??

I do like that others have NOT seen them report on their CR.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.