Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convergent collection letter

tag
noochski
Contributor

Convergent collection letter

I'm starting the process to buy my 1st home and had my FICO scores pulled by a lender last week. Today I received a letter from Convergent stating that they are attempting to collect a balance of $396.50. The letter lists the original creditor as Citibank and also lists LVNV Funding. I know for a fact that I NEVER had a Citibank account and am completely comfused about this debt. This account is not listed on any of my CRs either. What should I do?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
britishbooklady
Regular Contributor

Re: Convergent collection letter

This sounds like a classic dunning letter. Look carefully...there should be a blurb in there somewhere about having 30 days to notify them (in writing) that you dispute the debt in question.

I would send them a DV letter right away (certified mail, return receipt).

If you don't challenge it, and the debt in question is less than 7 years old, they could put it on your CR. Not something you want showing up in the midst of trying to buy your 1st home. 

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EX: 661, EQ: 662, TU: 694 [Lender Pull 12/30/2010]
Current Score: EX: 665, EQ: 680, TU: 710
Goal Score: EX: 750+, EQ: 750+, TU: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge for 2011
Message 2 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  You need to get that DV in the mail.  Being as you have just received a dunning letter, it will be considered timely and thus cease collection activity until they validate that the debt is yours.  You say that you have never had a citi account,  if this is the case then perhaps it's a case of mistaken identity or identity theft.  Get that DV in the mail so that you know where you stand.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 5
noochski
Contributor

It also states

"our client has advised us that they are willing to settle your account for 35% of your total balance." Would they be referring to LVNV funding? Also is anyone familiar with LVNV funding? If it has anything to do with Las Vegas NV, I can absolutely say that I haven't lived there since early March 2005. Any debt that I may have occured there is definitely beyong the SOL.

Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

LVNV is just the name of the CA.  They aren't an OC of any type.  It's just the name of the company.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.