Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convergent collection letter

tag
jn1980
New Contributor

Convergent collection letter

Just got a collection letter in the mail from Convergent Outsourcing, inc. They are collecting for Galaxy Asset Purchasing who says the OC is Citibank. This is not my account. How do i keep it off of my CR?
10/31/2017 - About 700 all around
07/01/15: EQ - 658 TU - 686 EX - 697
Goal: 700
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Convergent collection letter

@jn1980 wrote:
Just got a collection letter in the mail from Convergent Outsourcing, inc. They are collecting for Galaxy Asset Purchasing who says the OC is Citibank. This is not my account. How do i keep it off of my CR?

If it truly isnt your account you would assert your rights under the FCRA for ID Theft.   http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...

Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you are willing to file a police report stating that you never authorized the account, you can get any information related to the asserted identity theft blocked from your credit report. 

See the sticky post under General Credit Topics that is devoted to the identity theft process for all the details......

Message 3 of 10
jn1980
New Contributor

What if it's just a scam company or less than scrupulous CA trying to get money from whoever they can? What if I ask for debt validation? I know they can't come up with anything because the account isn't mine. 

Message 4 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@jn1980 wrote:

What if it's just a scam company or less than scrupulous CA trying to get money from whoever they can? What if I ask for debt validation? I know they can't come up with anything because the account isn't mine. 

You can try DV though a DV only places a cease bar on them if its timely (within 30 days of them getting the collection)  they are not a scam company

Message 5 of 10
jn1980
New Contributor

I just got the letter today so it's well within 30 days. Do you know of a good online way to send a certified DV letter?

Message 6 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@jn1980 wrote:

I just got the letter today so it's well within 30 days. Do you know of a good online way to send a certified DV letter?

Anything that is legal related needs to be send via US Mail, email is not an approved method of communication to retain your legal rights.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV will stop collection activity until they validate, which is far easier then you think. They only need to provide the name of the original creditor (which they already have) and the original amount of the debt.  You'll likely end up fighting back and forth over it, with it going from one collector to another, unless they decide to sue. You would not be the first person sued for another persons debt. How it goes depends on how badly they want to pursue it. At the very least I would send the CA items 1, 2, and 4, with instructions that they should close the account and not resell it.

If it ends up on your reports, FCRA 605B is VERY specific about this. If you send to the CRA's :

1, proof of identity,

2, police report asserting possible ID theft,

3, credit report with derogatory item highlighted, and

4, statement that you never authorized the account in any way,

Then they MUST block that item from your reports within 4 days.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW, I too, have received two letters from this company in the recent past. I sent DV letters as one was for PayPal (I have a current account) and the other was for a creditor I didn't recognize. I received a response back for the PayPal collection and they included a paper that could be from PayPal but just listed a couple of email addresses with amounts owed. These were dated 2002-2003. I sent off a letter letting them know the alleged debt from 15 years ago was just a waste of my time and theirs and they could move on as I was not paying for something that old that I wasn't aware of. I haven't heard back from them on it nor have I received validation of the other account.

Message 9 of 10
Sheridan
Regular Contributor

I also got two letters from them about two weeks ago for accounts that are about 12 years old. I thought about sending a dv, but instead I'm going to see what they do.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.