Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convergent problem...

tag
Chitwngrl
New Contributor

Convergent problem...

So Covergent CA sent me a collections letter late March. I sent them a PFD letter CMRRR. They sent it back signed, but no answer from them. In their original letter they were offering a settlement of $1,700. They stated that we owe 3K. THeir settlement offer ends first week of May. So what should I do now? Do I sent them a DV? Call them? On my CR is states the bal owed from RBS (the original creditor) was $650. 

Starting Score:EQ 653, TU 612, EX 618 (pulled by Mort Broker)
Current Score:EX643TU637EQ659
Goal Score: 700's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Chitwngrl
New Contributor

Re: Convergent problem...

Anyone? Smiley Happy

Starting Score:EQ 653, TU 612, EX 618 (pulled by Mort Broker)
Current Score:EX643TU637EQ659
Goal Score: 700's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Chitwngrl wrote:

So Covergent CA sent me a collections letter late March. I sent them a PFD letter CMRRR. They sent it back signed, but no answer from them. In their original letter they were offering a settlement of $1,700. They stated that we owe 3K. THeir settlement offer ends first week of May. So what should I do now? Do I sent them a DV? Call them? On my CR is states the bal owed from RBS (the original creditor) was $650. 

Please clarify did you make an offer? Did they agree to your terms? 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The usual purpose of sending a DV would be to invoke a cease collection bar on them until such time as they provide debt verification.

Presuming you send the DV within 30 days of their dunning notice, it woud give a temp respit from reporting of their collection if they have not yet reported.

However, I presume they have already reported, else the PFD would have had no purpose.   While the cease collection bar is in effect, they are precluded from negotating on payment of the debt.  So pursuit of the PFD  would be in limbo.

A DV may not be in your best interest unless you want an itemized listing of the debt for purpose of challenging the legitimacy of any amounts they are attempting to collect.

Unless specifically authorized in your original account agreement wiith the OC, or there is some provsiion in your state code that permits them to collect amounts not specifically authorized in your original account agreement, they might be in violation of FDCPA 808(1).

Without an itemized listing, it is difficult to challenge specific amounts as unauthorized............

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.